Distillation Method
Distillation
Barrel - Cask
Alcohol Volume
Price Category
Facebook Page
Twitter Page
Tasting Awards
2011 TEQUILA.net Awards - "Best of the Best" Best Highland Añejo Tequila Judge Favorite
2011 TEQUILA.net Awards - Best of the Best

Tequila Don Pilar Anejo

Tequila Don Pilar Anejo is crafted from 100% Blue Agave which is estate grown in the magical Highlands of Jalisco. Don Jose Pilar Contreras, son of these magical lands, uses unique, artisanal methods to create this fine Tequila.

Don Pilar's Agave is harvested from one of six ranches located in San Jose de Gracia. The Agaves are hand picked and harvested at their peak maturity, then cleaned and steam cooked for 24 hours in autoclaves. Don Pilar Tequila is fermented with Champagne yeast, and improved with the assistance of Baroque music during the 200 hour fermentation process. Don Pilar Tequila is double distilled in stainless steel pot stills, and then aged in lightly toasted, virgin American White Oak barrels for a minimum of twelve months. This aging process imparts a smoothness to the Tequila and enhances the essence of the Agave flavor.

Don Pilar is a Kosher Certified brand.

Photos by Tequila.net

Editor review

1 review
(Updated: May 16, 2009)
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Don Pilar Anejo * Tasted Blind May 2009 * Riedel Tequila Glass

Appearance: copper, golden hues - thick body and slow tears
Aroma: woody agave, notes of citrus and butter
Initial Taste: light sweet agave and mild wood
Spirit Body: buttery agave and hint of roasted nuts
Finish / Aftertaste: warm mouthfeel, medium length finish with butter / nut aftertaste

Don Pilar Anejo is full of excellent flavors, well balanced, and enjoyable all the way through. An excellent Anejo for under $40, highly recommended!
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 34 0

User reviews

9 reviews

100%
70-90 stars

0%
50-70 stars

0%
30-50 stars

0%
1-30 stars

0%
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

94(9)
Initial Taste

94(9)
Body

93(9)
Finish

94(9)
Enjoyability

94(9)
Price

96(9)
Presentation

94(9)
View all user reviews View most helpful
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Appearance: Dark color and very nice tears
Nose: Agave, grapefruit and butter
Taste: Spice, agave, a little bourbon and and citrus
Finish: Long and slow. Nice fire. Hint of Dr. Pepper maybe.
Price: Little on the high side
Presentation: Classy

Very good. Different flavor sets it apart from CN and 1942.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Tasted 01/18/15 from a Riedel Tequila Glass.
Dark amber color.
Aroma: Nice aroma of roasted agave, oak, and fruit with a hint of chocolate.
Initial Taste: Robust flavors of roasted agave, oak, toasted nuts, and butterscotch with pleasant alcohol heat.
Body: Slow tears, light buttery mouth feel of peppery agave in an envelope of oak and spices. A very nice rich flavor profile.
Finish: A long smooth finish of well-aged sweet agave and oak that develops slowly on the tongue, reaches a of peak of flavor with a pleasant agave kick and then fades away.
Price: RRP of $45
Presentation: A unique shaped bottle and stylish understated lettering gives it a classic look.

This is a robust anejo that has a very nice flavor profile and a dark amber color which result from being aged for 18 months in toasted virgin oak barrels. For my 2nd tasting, I let it breath in the glass for 10 -15 minutes, which opened up flavors and made them more discernible. This is a well-crafted premium anejo at a very nice price. It is a nice addition to my collection of premium tequilas.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

The blanco was quite good. I like the fact that they skipped a reposado since those are so tough to get right. However, my understanding is that a repo is in the works. Okay, now for the task at hand.

A definite apple fragrance coming through in the nose, with some alcohol as well, but not overpowering. No agave to speak of in the nose of this aged product. Once on the tongue, the apple now mixes with oak. It has a nice sweetness, but not drippy sweet. A dryness from the oak tannins is present. The body and finish may be the weak spots. It is rather thin for an anejo, and the the finish is a little disappointing, but not bad. It finishes quick, but nice.

Don Pilar anejo is really a nice tequila overall. If it had more body, and a finish to remember, it could be stellar. I see this priced under $40 in multiple places, which is a steal for this quality anejo. It is a very classy, nice-looking bottle.
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

An absolutely amazing añejo. A full spectrum flavors on the tongue. Aftertaste is a bit lacking. Nose low to mid 90's. I am completely happy with this purchase. First time visiting this brand but it won't be my last. Hitime purchase for $35.99.
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Appearance: Dark gold, darker than most anejos. Thick body.
Aroma: Almost like a cross between bourbon and tequila. Citrus and wood are prominent.
Initial Taste: Sweet agave with nice wood tastes as well. A hint of bourbon with a bit more sweetness from the agave and citrus.
Finish / Aftertaste: Very pleasant, long finish. Smooth with a pleasant alcohol heat.

Don Pilar Anejo is a great value at under $40. Great character and flavor. I'd recommend it to anyone...especially those that love whiskey as well.
TT
#1 Reviewer 414 reviews
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 3 0
View all user reviews