Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: El Mayor to the rescue!

Default El Mayor to the rescue!

Just wanted to pass on a quick story. I'm out shopping with my wife yesterday and after enduring many stops at many different stores, I finally got my chance to check out my favorite cigar shop. I purchase a nice Cuesta-Rey Vintage Centenario and we stop in a local bar located right next door that allows smoking. It was happy hour, two for one on domestic draft beers so I fire up the cigar and after awhile, get the craving for a nice snifter of agave. I asked the bartender what brands of tequila she carries and she said "Patron silver, 1800 repo, and Cuervo gold".....surprise, surprise. I said okay, never mind and went back to my beer but then five minutes later she came back with an unopened bottle of El Mayor Blanco (NOM1143) and asked if this was a "good" tequila? She said that she found it in the back and thinks that the owner got it as a freebie from one of his distributors trying to get him to stock it in his bar. Since I am very familiar with that juice....I have all three flavors at my bar, I said that will do just fine! She poured two very healthy jumbo snifters and the rest is history! The blanco is my favorite of the "The Greatest" line.....and IMHO, it consists of nice earth, a little peppery and a slightly oily mouthfeel with a very smooth finish. Rodolfo Gonzălez really hit the nail on the head with this blanco! IMO the repo comes in second and the anejo my least favorite....to much of an almost chemical taste to it. Anyway, I usually sip on anejo's when I do smoke an occasional cigar but since that was all that was available, I must say that it paired very nicely....especially after she poured the second round of gigantic proportions "on the house" !
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

That's a nice story, with a happy ending!

So you enjoy a cigar from time to time, that's a good thing. PM me your addy and I send you a couple of sticks to enjoy with your favorite juice.
    Of all the things I've lost during my life, I miss my mind the most!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
    That's a nice story, with a happy ending!

So you enjoy a cigar from time to time, that's a good thing. PM me your addy and I send you a couple of sticks to enjoy with your favorite juice.
    Thanks Johnny.... I just may take you up on that someday! Salud!

Salud, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by totallytequila View Post
    Thanks Johnny.... I just may take you up on that someday! Salud!
    Please do!

I have been into cigars for many years, and I have a large stash on hand. It would be a pleasure to send you a couple.

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

I've only had the El Mayor Anejo and IMHO was almost undrinkable. I have never tried the other varities so I can't comment. I enjoy a nice cigar with tequila a lot as well. Just last night after we got back from dinner, I had a Macanudo on the lanai with a glass of Espolon anejo.

On the way down from NY we stopped at JR's in NC and I picked up a 5-pack of Don Diego Privada #4, which I haven't tried yet. I'll probably try one out later with some El Tesoro anejo.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gsars1 View Post
    I've only had the El Mayor Anejo and IMHO was almost undrinkable. I have never tried the other varities so I can't comment. I enjoy a nice cigar with tequila a lot as well. Just last night after we got back from dinner, I had a Macanudo on the lanai with a glass of Espolon anejo.

On the way down from NY we stopped at JR's in NC and I picked up a 5-pack of Don Diego Privada #4, which I haven't tried yet. I'll probably try one out later with some El Tesoro anejo.
    Hey gsars1,

Another cigar smoker, this is great, there is also one more I know of, for sure, and that's bn087.

PM me your addy, and I'd be happy to send you a couple of sticks as well. It's a good way to develop online friendships.

BTW, what are your thoughts on the Espolon Anejo. I bought all three flavors a few weeks ago but I have not opened any yet.

I have to say, tequila and cigars, never crossed my mind (I have seen a post about this, somewhere on this site before). No real reason; although I guess I figured cigars would overpower tequila. I haven't been into cigars for that long (tequila less). Any suggested pairings, or guidance on how to come up with a good one?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
    Hey gsars1,

Another cigar smoker, this is great, there is also one more I know of, for sure, and that's bn087.

PM me your addy, and I'd be happy to send you a couple of sticks as well. It's a good way to develop online friendships.

BTW, what are your thoughts on the Espolon Anejo. I bought all three flavors a few weeks ago but I have not opened any yet.
    Add me to the list, been into cigars for about 10 years now and they pair great with tequila. Lately my tastes have turned toward the dark side with most of my sticks coming from that little island south of Miami, but anything Don Pepin or Litto Gomez is good with me too.

Quote Originally Posted by bankerjoe View Post
    I have to say, tequila and cigars, never crossed my mind (I have seen a post about this, somewhere on this site before). No real reason; although I guess I figured cigars would overpower tequila. I haven't been into cigars for that long (tequila less). Any suggested pairings, or guidance on how to come up with a good one?
    I can give you a few suggestions based on what is working for me, but remember, taste is very subjective and nothing works the same for everyone.

So far I have found that, for me, medium strength and medium to fuller flavored cigars go best with the blanco's/silver's, etc. and milder to mild/medium cigars go well with reposados and especially anejos.

Some examples of great pairings IMHO would be the standard Padron Line, the Fuente Sungrown Line, the Excalibur Dark Knight Line and the CAO Brazilia Line with a blanco/silver.

As far as a Reposado and especially an Anejo, for me, a few great pairings are a Gispert Churchill or Robusto, the CAO Gold Line, the standard Fuente Line, Macanudos, and so on.

BTW, PM me your addy and I send you a couple of cigars to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron View Post
    Add me to the list, been into cigars for about 10 years now and they pair great with tequila. Lately my tastes have turned toward the dark side with most of my sticks coming from that little island south of Miami, but anything Don Pepin or Litto Gomez is good with me too.
    I'm with you on the "Fidel Sticks".....Senor Patron! I am located so freakin close to that island you are referring to that I can almost (notice I said almost) swim to it! It's frustrating to be located so near yet so far to a real quality stick! I got all excited a few months ago when our President seemed to be open to thawing the freeze between our countries.......wishful thinking on my part, I guess? A good friend recently turned me on to a real nice "Cohiba Habana Cuba" stick that he purchased up in Canada, which I thoroughly enjoyed with a large snifter of Fina Estampa Anejo.....outrageous match! Anyway it's a shame that quality sticks like that are not more readily available for us cigar guys. I don't trust any of the "on line" sites for purchases....all claiming to carry the real deal. In the meantime, I'll continue my enjoyment of the more readily available Rocky's, Punch's, Acid's, CAO's, Fuente's, Pepin's etc, etc, etc......

Salud, Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast