Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences in Brands from same NOM

rrehkemper is offline Agave Aficionados

Default Differences in Brands from same NOM

Wanted to see what everyone thinks about different brands from the same NOMs. Is the juice the same, different or somewhere in between. I checked my notes and have found some brands from the same NOM that tasted quite similar, if not the same and sometimes I can see definate differences. Based on the kind of barrell I guess the Anejos could be different but what do you blanco drinkers think?

Aloha, Don Ricardo

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Varies at each distillery... some products are the same, and bottled under a different brand name.

There are typically similarities on products produced at one distillery, especially if they go through the exact process each time. But if you take Casa Herradura for example, the Agave is the same, the cooking is the same, fermenting is the same, but distillation time is different, final alcohol percentage is different, and then aging periods are different. So with those differences at the end of production, they are able to form several brands: Herradura, El Jimador, Antiguo, Gran Imperio, Suave 45, Hacienda del Cristero

Not all distilleries have their own Agave fields and supply, so that will throw a spin on flavor as they purchase from different locations and farmers. And some brand owners have their own Agave and hire the distillery to make the juice, so that would also differentiate them from other brands produced at the same distillery.

Are there certain areas or soils in Mexico that produce a distictive blue agave taste. I think of Vidalia onions, grown in two or three counties in Georgia, that produce a very sweet and unusual fruit.

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MargaritaLover View Post
    Are there certain areas or soils in Mexico that produce a distictive blue agave taste. I think of Vidalia onions, grown in two or three counties in Georgia, that produce a very sweet and unusual fruit.
    Definitely. Agave Terroir (region, climate, soil, etc.) plays a big part in the flavor of Tequila. The highlands and lowlands of Jalisco produce unique flavor characteristics.

I agree with the things that Mr Agave said... Ive always reviewed my top five and they all are from their own distilleries. Meaning the nom is only for that brand.

But there are brands out there that I like and there are other brands from the same NOM that I dont like. But I will say that when I do go out browsing for tequila, I do pay special attention to the NOM (thanks tequila.net/mobile!)
    Tequila, el espíritu de mexico, mi quierido.

Just to elaborate on my previous post. It's funny, there are brands that I dont like, and Ive noticed when I try other brands from the same NOM, I dislike them too (I wont mention specifics to be nice).

Yet on the other side, there are brands I like, and when I try another brand from that same NOM, I dont like them (I wont mention specifics).

This leads me to believe that the yeast plays a huge role in the flavor of the tequila. I can only imagine the other steps are more common between brands and that yeast would be the biggest factor. Thats just my humble opinion, I dont really know whats going on, but I like to pretend I do and that I am THE master distiller of the century and everybody wants me to work for them.

Although there are hundreds of brands made at same distilleries, I think you can always find a different characteristic in each specific brand particularly in the Reposados and Anejos it's definitely subtle but it's there, now in Blancos, as most of you have already stated it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint the difference from one brand and sister brand as they are similar, but again as stated before, Agave Terrior has alot to do with the final product, and even then once you get it to the distillery you have an entire new set of factors that may or may not change the characteristics between the brands.
    Quien quiere un tequilaso....

Cool

U r right, Rosco. I forgot to think about that. I agree in regards to the aging, woods used by different brands makes a difference. In blancos, u have a huge point in relation to the Agave Terrior...But back to my yeast observation. I assume each brand has their own yeast

You also have to keep in mind that some distilleries don't add yeast, they let them ferment on their own. Especially if they are in the Highlands where the altitude contributes to fermanetation process.
    Quien quiere un tequilaso....

Wink

Wow! Did not know that. Much thanks, Rosco.. Something new to research!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast