Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

I'm definitely new to premium tequila's having been turned off to Tequila in college by mid to low grade options since my budget was not exactly complimentary to quality options.

A friend of mine introduced me to premium tequila via Patron Anejo. It was surprisingly different than anything I had before, being only a fan of Sauza Commerativo Anejo. I decided it was time I start looking into premiums a bit more with a better budget and appreciation for finer spirits developed through premium bourbon, scotch and rum exploration. I've learned you usually get what you pay for if you pay attention and search around.

I read a lot of reviews here and figured this was one of the tequila's I must try. Another was Herradura Repasado. So, my frame of reference is Patron Anejo, Patron Silver, Jose Cuervo 1800, Sauza in general but mostly Commerativo and of course recently Herradura Repasado.

I was hesitant at first to try a Blanco just based on my appeal to aged spirits and the general consensus that while Blancos have more Agave power to them, they also are rougher around the edges, something I'd expect from a mid-grade vodka. I was unsure, but I figure, if it had such great reviews, it was at least worth a try. I picked up a bottle for $38.00 at my local liquor store.

My first opening of the bottle was a surprise. I typically do not like the initial nose of any tequilas I've tried to date. The smell here, however, was something I'd expect from a very refined spirit. Nothing rough at all, rather sweet and soft. No real alcohol hit, but more a smooth unique smell with hints of caramel.

I poured about 1.5oz into a 4oz margarita style glass and swirled it. It coated the sides well showing it had smooth body. I sniffed again and was pleasantly surprised by the sweet aroma and absence of any strong alcohol or rough edge smells.

The initial taste was incredible. I expected, again, something rough, some burn, but there was none. It was sweet and smooth and the agave was amazingly present with some sweet tones. As I sipped more I picked up some spice but maintained the agave character. It continued to be smooth. A second pour and sipping continued to support the sweet agave flavor and build a bit of the spice. The heat only built slightly as I continued to enjoy the glass, but never reached a point of anything I had tried in the past. There was no real bitter or rough feel I get from many other spirits.

During my tasting I also enjoyed a maduro style cigar. The two complimented each other well. The both accentuated the sweetness of each other while keeping the spice nice and mellow in the background to add character.

I must say, though I am new and will likely try more premium tequilas along the way, this is a serious keeper. I am very pleased with my decision to go with the ratings here and give it a try. Even down to the quality decanter and feel. It felt very much worth the price to me and definitely helped create a wonderful mood on my back porch on a nice fall evening.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone curious about blancos but hesitant like me to drink any neat beyond mixing. I would also say it would be a tragedy to mix this. It is amazing all on its own!

ENJOY!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments