Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

I learned to drink tequila in a Mexican border town, starting with margaritas on the rocks and eventually advancing to straight shots. I was an Herradura guy for a long while until a friend introduced me to Don Julio Anejo. Now, I'm a man of limited means. For most of the year I'm content to drink the reposados and anejos at the low end of my liquor store's price range. But once a year my friends gather, we barbecue all night, we play the best music on earth, and we drink Don Julio Anejo. I have not had the 1942 or the Real -- not yet, anyways -- but no other tequila that I HAVE tried is as smooth, as fruity, as delightful in initial taste and as downright awe-inspiring in its finish. And, since these parties happen in my back yard and I have no intention of driving, if the bottle calls to me from time to time during the evening I feel no concern about dipping into it again. For me tequila is different than any other alcohol, it doesn't make me drunk as much as it makes me reflective. No matter how reflective Don Julio and I get, I wake up the next morning with a clear head, which also counts for something.

This is the stuff that to me outshines all others.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments