Thread: Sangrita

Default Sangrita

This has no Tequila in it, though tastes great sitting along side one.
    Enjoy

This makes 16 to 20 shots
    Time to prep: about 20 minutes
    Total Time: 1 hr

Words on Sangrita:
    There are many ways to make Sangrita. You may have a preference depending on the type of tequila you prefer, Blanco, Repo or Anejo. Some use tomato juice and others use orange juice as a base. There are some old recipes that were made with a base of pomegranate juice. There are as many ways to make Sangrita as there are ways to make salsa, this is one of those things you can play with and it still seems to come out pretty good. I chose to make an orange juice based sangrita because it has great flavor and it is easy to find fresh squeezed orange juice in the stores.

You will need
    1 oz dried ancho chiles (2 medium) cleaned, if you want it spicier, substitute guajillos
    2 cups fresh orange juice (about 8 oranges if squeezing yourself)
    2 tablespoons grenadine
    2 tablespoons sweet onion (Maui or Vidalia work well) (about 1 thin slice)
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    of a medium tomato
    2 good drops Angostura Bitters
    Salt to taste (after blending)

Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles.
    Soak chiles covered in hot water for 10 to 20 minutes or so.
    Remove from the water and add the chiles and all other ingredients to a blender, except for the salt. Blend until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes depending on your blender.
    Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a container that you can chill it in. Discard the solids that are left over after you have forced as much juice out of it as possible. Add salt to taste and chill for at least 1 hour prior to serving. Pour in shot glasses and serve along side your favorite tequila. This makes a great pallet cleaner, chaser or just plain tasty interlude between sips.

Salud
    AP
    Mr Xtra Anejo

Default Re: Sangrita

It is most unfortunate that most restaurants and bars don't know about Sangrita or how to make it. I carry a quick and easy recipe in my wallet just to try and make sure I can get something close when I am out.

3 parts tomato juice
    2 parts orange juice
    1/2 part worchestershire sauce
    1/2 + or - part tabasco sauce.

Most bars have all the ingredients and can make something acceptable.

Just on an added note - I was in Yosemite this last week and talking to the bartender who indicated she used to see tequila served "completo" (with sangrita) all the time and felt it was a shame that the practice had falled off. She did make quite tasty Sangrita.

Robert

Hola RJC5XTC,

I tried your quick & easy sangrita recipe and it was excellent, I really enjoyed it and it was very easy. I just never wanted to get into complicated, time consuming recipes but this one was easy, tasted good and I'll now use it allot.

Gracias

I'm glad you liked it. I have tried several and this was the best combination of taste / ease / and liklihood of bars being able to make it. As I enjoy Sangrita with my tequila I have printed the recipe on business cards with a history / description of Sangrita on the back. Have card will travel.

Robert

For 1 1/2 cups of citrus-based sangrita with a kick:

6 oz. freshly-squeezed orange juice
    4 oz. freshly-squeezed lime juice
    2 oz. real grenadine (pomegranate-based)
    Red habanero hot sauce to taste (I use El Yucateco)

Add to a mixing tin and shake with ice. Strain and sip with tequila on the side.