Pepe Zevada Tequila Reposado

T May 12, 2007

86 (2)
17915 0 2 0 0
Pepe Zevada Tequila Reposado

Tequila Review

NOM

Tequila Pepe Zevada Reposado

Pepe Zevada Reposado Tequila - The golden color and harmonious aromas is the product of careful selection and distillation, together with a minimum of 8 months in white oak barrels, producing a sophisticated, spicy floral aroma and flavors with character and depth of finish.

Jose “Pepe” Zevada embodies the word tradition.  Born of European parentage, Pepe was raised by the values that your “word and a handshake” meant a promise would be kept.  He was taught that the dinner table was sacred because that is where families came together to celebrate life’s events.  Pepe has been in the liquor business for over 30 years, and as a tequila expert, his name on the bottle represents his personal commitment that this product contains all the characteristics an excellent tequila should possess. 

Through the combination of tradition and high technology, this has placed Pepe Zevada among the leading distillers in Mexico.  Pepe Zevada “Z” Tequila is produced with extensive care to detail, from the selection of 7 to 9 year old agave plants, the careful choice of cultivated yeasts through the unique short column distillation process, managed by a staff with over 30 years distillation experience.  Finally, the spirit is aged in Canadian white oak barrels, which gives it hues of amber and gold.  A single sip reveals the smooth uncompromising taste.

Pepe Zevada “Z” Tequila is produced from 100% natural ingredients, with no additives to modify or change its exceptional quality or authentic taste.  This is insured through using dimineralized water so the minerals do not contaminate the spirit.

User reviews

2 reviews
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

82(2)
Initial Taste

82(2)
Body

87(2)
Finish

89(2)
Enjoyability

89(2)
Price

92(2)
Presentation

87(2)
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

This is the last of the Z tequila line for me to try. I liked the anejo and really liked the blanco. I'm normally a reposado drinker first, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Aroma: The nose is very light and subtle. There's agave pepper and just hints of flowers, vanilla and oak.
Initial Taste: Sweet and spicy. Very agave forward with a light taste of vanilla and citrus.
Body: Thin body for a reposado. There's a slight bitterness from the oak to go along with the vanilla/fruity sweetness and agave spice.
Finish: Medium-short finish. The agave pepper kick is still there and the woody bitterness remains as well. There's no alcohol burn at all and it's a pretty pleasant finish.

This is a pretty good tequila...especially when you can factor in the price. It's a fairly basic reposado. Perhaps it's unfair of me to be comparing it to its unaged brother, but it's not Z's strongest tequila. Maybe I was expecting too much. This would work well as an everyday sipper and profiles well as a high end mixer as well. It's very good for being under $30 and it's smooth enough for any spirit lover.
TT
#1 Reviewer 414 reviews
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

The aroma is a little surprising at first due to the spices i'm assuming. This Tequila has a unique flavor and initial impression but it goes down smoothly and the after taste is very enjoyable. If you are looking to "spice" things up this is an excellent selection!
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0