Oven Type
Extraction Method
Distillation Method
Barrel - Cask
Alcohol Volume
Facebook Page
Twitter Page

Zignum Mezcal Reposado

Zignum Mezcal Reposado is 100% Espadin Agave and rests for 2 months in new American white oak barrels.

Zignum Mezcal extracts the juices of the agave plant before steam-cooking them, which eliminates the smoky taste and reduces the levels of methanol and saturated alcohols. The result is a silky smooth spirit with a clean taste that allows consumers to fully appreciate the flavor of the green agave in its true form.

Casa Armando Guillermo Prieto is located in the Mexican state of Oaxaca. It is the largest distillery in the country, with the latest cutting-edge technology. Casa AGP's main goal is to create and commercialize agave plant products using the most advanced technology and best raw materials. With the help of its specialized production team, Casa AGP produces the highest-quality products while adhering to some of the most stringent standards in the industry.

User reviews

2 reviews
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

87(2)
Initial Taste

87(2)
Body

86(2)
Finish

89(2)
Enjoyability

89(2)
Price

85(2)
Presentation

86(2)
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

I've not been a Mezcal drinker, but this turned me into one!!!
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Zignum Mezcal Reposado
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

This is a pretty good tequila…oh, wait, it's a mescal. My prior experience with mescals was many years ago and I recall whatever I had was pretty rot-gut stuff - not conducive of trying again. Then I recently had a premium mescal and thoroughly enjoyed the smokey, earthy flavor, reminiscent of Lagavulin scotch. I've been drinking/collecting premium tequilas for the last few years, but the high end mescal (forget what it was) I'd drunk hit a special spot - like tequila but different in a way that made me want to add mescal to my usual repertoire. So, I hit the local liquor store, which has a surprisingly good selection of premium spirits, to include a number of high-end tequilas. Alas, other than the $20 buck mescal with the worm in the bottle, they had only one "premium" mescal - Zignum Reposado. I bought the only bottle they had and took it home in great anticipation. What I tasted was a very good approximation of a very good tequila - no smokey flavor I had been craving. I was disappointed - not that it was bad - it was very good, but it wasn't the mescal experience I'd expected. That said, it's good, with a weak amber tea color and slow tears on the glass. The nose is earthy, with hints of coconut, vanilla, and caramel. There's a slight chalkiness to it, sort of like the smell of rain on limestone. It's a part of the nose I like and look for in my favorite tequilas, so it was welcome here. There is an immediate burn on the tongue, but a slight oiliness quickly smooths this out…it is very smooth on the palate after the initial burn. There's a hint of the smoke I was looking for, but it's elusive, like a highland malt (Dalwinnie?). I could not taste agave until the finish, where a hint of smoke also present. All in all, it's good, smooth, and tequila-like. But if you're looking for the mescal smoke and earthiness, Zignum may not be what you're looking for.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 0