Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Tequila?

Default American Tequila?

It's my understanding that for tequila to be called tequila it must be made in Mexico. That said is there anyone in America or otherwise, that makes a 100% Blue Agave "tequila" that is whole produced outside Mexico. If there is I have a couple questions:

1. Who makes it?
    2. If it can't be called tequila, what is/would it be called?

From where I sit, if it looks like tequila, smells like tequila and tastes like tequila ... it's tequila. (kinda like the old walks like a duck argument)

blagave is offline Agave Aficionados

Default Re: American Tequila?

You are correct....the word Tequila can only be used with the production with in the approved areas of Mexico.

I have a bottle from South America that is called Agave and I know there are a few areas in Southern CA that are growing the Blue Agave plant to produce the equivalant to Tequila.

So far, what I have tasted that is suppose to be the same as tequila, has been terriable. There is no getting around the soil, climate and conditions of where the agave is grown in Mexico.

After I posted this I did a google search. Seem's the is one JB Wagoner's 100% Blue Agave that seems to have gotten a few very good reviews. Also found out that they were stop from using thier orgianal name Temequila because it closely resembled Tequila. From what I can tell the use of the name Temequila is still being litigated. Anyway I find it interesting. I now have a question for MrAgave: Can this be listed on the reviews section of thie site?

FYI - Here's the link: http://web.mac.com/drinkjbw/JB_Wagon...m/Welcome.html

I have tried JB Wagoners Ultra Premium Blanco, it runs about 55.00 here in Waco Texas. I have also tried a better tequila than that that wasnt labeled "tequila"

Porfidio Plata - Distillido De Agave, 39.5% Alc, 69.99/750ml here in Waco Texas.

I bought this bottle because of the controversy behind Porfidio...little did I know that it was no longer being labeled tequila. I am still researching this bottle but I do think the agave was grown in Mexico...what I dont understand is the label. This has been a delight to drink and I have a great review to post on tequila.net soon.

I have seen Blue Agave Spirits that are not labeled tequila. Most are mixtos like Baja...which are very cheaply made. I know of another from South Africa but have not tried it and totally forgot the name...a little research will find that also though.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

I tried JB Wagoneers a few months ago. It was so bad that the bartender took it off my tab.

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by missin44
    After I posted this I did a google search. Seem's the is one JB Wagoner's 100% Blue Agave that seems to have gotten a few very good reviews. Also found out that they were stop from using thier orgianal name Temequila because it closely resembled Tequila. From what I can tell the use of the name Temequila is still being litigated. Anyway I find it interesting. I now have a question for MrAgave: Can this be listed on the reviews section of thie site?

FYI - Here's the link: http://web.mac.com/drinkjbw/JB_Wagon...m/Welcome.html
    I used to have it in the listings, but removed it until the appropriate category has been created.

I didnt like it either tvJefe.....

I thought it may of been a bad bottle, I coudlnt find anything "ultra premium" about it. Come to think of it, I have had "tequila" that was a quarter of the cost of that and tasted much better.

As for the Porfidio, I will give it an A- in my books. Slightly sweet with cinnamon being the prominent aroma and taste. I was happy with the purchase minus the cost of the of 75.00...compared the the JB Wagoners which was drinkable but not in my standards of a "go-to" tequila which needs to receive at least a B+....I gave JB Wagoners a B- according to my notes...a friend paid for it for a night of drinking, I recall both of us agreeing that it wasnt what we thought it would be.

I never get to upset when I purchase a not so great tequila. IMHO, Reviews help...but my initial opinion is the only judgement I can truly follow. But if I keep talking about this I will get way off topic on my soapbox.

All-in-all I love agave spirits. I have tried a few Distillido De Agave's and have been impressed and unsatisfied just like when it comes to tequila. If your lookin for a good one with mystery behind it, try the newer Porfidio Plata....

I have a bottle from South America that is called Agave

Did you perhaps mean "AGAVA" and South Africa? I ran across "Agava" in a local liquor store, but declined to fork out the $45 the were asking for it. As I remember, the alcohol was higher and I wasn't impressed with the references on the label to Mexican Tequila.
    I have seen various products in Jalisco distilled without government licence - they were named "Licor de Agave" and "Distilaccion de Agave," and were very acceptable tequilas, but could never be marketed as such. Japan is also working to produce an agave liquor, but I haven't heard much about it for more than a year.
    "Para que vino sepa a vino, hay que tomarlo con un amigo."

No its an agave product from south africa...I have never tried or seen it, only online.

blagave is offline Agave Aficionados

The Bottle that I have from South Africa cost about $15 and is a Blanco. The name is Flore d' Agave and is 100% Blue Agave. The label calls the content an "Agave Spirit". It also states that the agave is grown wild in the dry and pure air of Desolation Valley in South Africa.....each agave plant is at least 7 years old.

I was told that the climate and soil in this area of South Africa is similiar to Jalisco. All I know is that it does not taste good at all.

Mr A. did you ever crack the bottle and try it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast