Tequila Review

NOM
Agave Region
Oven Type
Distillation Method
Distillation
Barrel - Cask

Cesar Monterrey Tequila Reposado Reserva

Cesar Monterrey Tequila Tequilas are 100% grown, produced and bottled under the careful supervision of our Master Distiller who's family has been distilling premium Tequila for over 100 years. In our opinion, when you grow, produce and bottle all of your own Tequila, the resulting experience represents the magical character of the people at Cesar Monterrey who have dedicated their lives to produce the finest Tequilas in all of Mexico!

Artisan production methods are the only methods used to make Cesar Monterrey Tequilas. Wood burning ovens, pure mountain spring water, gently pressed free-run Premium Blue Agave juice, open tank stainless steel fermenters using only indigenous yeast, temperature controlled stainless steel pot still triple distillation and cold filtered twice creates the perfect Tequila.

An extremely important discovery was made by our Master Distiller years ago that has refined the luxury Tequila taste profule. Our separation of each distillate into 3 parts (head, heart and tail) has eliminated the harshness and volatile characteristics still found in other Tequilas. We only use the hearts of both distillates for our Reserva Tequilas.

Cesar Monterrey Tequila Anejo Reserva is aged in Kentucky Ultra Premium Bourbon cured Oak barrels for 8-12 months which gives our Reposado a richer and more complex flavor profile than any other Reposado thus earning the Reserva classification.

User reviews

1 review
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

93(1)
Initial Taste

91(1)
Body

91(1)
Finish

92(1)
Enjoyability

91(1)
Price

93(1)
Presentation

95(1)
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

This is another nice product from Cesar Monterrey. I've reviewed the blanco and the anejo, so I thought that I would give my two cents on the reposado. The blanco was hotly spicey and fruity, with an interesting array of other flavors, but not the smoothest tequila out there. (Actually, in hindsight, I wish I had rated the blanco higher than I did). The anejo also had an acutely spicey agave taste, but the time it spent in the bourbon-cured oak cask imparted a sweet richness. The bourbon touch my not be to the taste of the agave juice purists, but I love it in the context of that spirit and it is hands down my favorite tequila anejo. The reposado sits in between these two. You still get most of the spicey agave sparkle of the blanco and some of the bourbon sweetness of the anejo. Overall, spicey, rich and smooth, and better than 90 plus percent of the reposados out there. Generally, I am not a reposado fan, but if I had to go with a reposado, this would be in my top three (along with Casa Noble and 1921).

I rated the price a 93 because I know of a store in Austin that sells it at around $30 per bottle, but a store I visited at South Padre Island charged $52 per bottle, and those are the only two liquor stores that I am aware of that carry Cesar Monterrey. So, what it will set you back is not clear, but the bigger question is whether you can find it all. Cesar Monterrey tequilas appear to be fairly hard to find.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0