Tequila Review

NOM
Oven Type
Distillation
Barrel - Cask
Alcohol Volume
Price Category

El Caballo Estrella Tequila Reposado

El Caballo Estrella Tequila Reposado is 100% Agave and rests in oak whiskey barrels from Europe for over 4-6 months.

Brand History
In one of the smaller town in Mexico called Santa Ines, Michoacan, Don Pedro Barragan lived with his 9 children and 42 grandchildren.

Don Pedro's family worked 9 months out of the year on a remote Ranch called “El Volcancillo”, a dairy farm operation.  The only way to get there in the old days was either by walking or riding a horse.  They had to go across dangerous canyons and cliffs, taking 7–8 hours to get there.

My grandfather had a horse named  "Estrella”, and when I was a small child, I had to walk to get to his ranch because I was afraid that the horse would fall down the cliffs.  My grandfather was concerned that I had to walk such a long distance, and he insisted that I ride his horse and he would say, "I would never put you  in danger, it is true that some horses are brave, but if you will trust me, I will let you ride my gentle horse “Estrella” and if you like the way he rides, I will give him to you."

I did not hesitate and I put myself in my grandfather’s hands and I rode his horse “Estrella”.  The ride was very smooth and Estrella was so careful walking through the narrow paths to the ranch. Every time I went to visit my Grandfather again, Estrella came to me and pushed me with his head, asking me to ride him again.

El Caballo Estrella Tequila was created in honor of the gentle, beautiful horse "Estrella" and my lovely Grandfather.

Photo by TEQUILA.net

User reviews

2 reviews
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

87(2)
Initial Taste

89(2)
Body

87(2)
Finish

91(2)
Enjoyability

91(2)
Price

97(2)
Presentation

90(2)
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

I was vacationing in Southeastern Texas close to Jasper. I told the store owner I was from Kansas and was looking for something smooth to sip on over ice I don't find in Kansas. He said I have something that will only put you back $20 and I guarantee you will not be disappointed. I'm not someone who like to make minute observations of every potential ingredient. I like a smooth sipping Tequila that's not overly spiced. This Tequila is very smooth to sip on with not a hint of pepper but has a little vanilla on the back of the tongue. No bite and a smooth finish.
I wish I wish I had bought several bottles because this one is about gone. I have tried many Reposado Tequilas that were priced at $60 to $90 the did not compare tooth's one.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

The last line reviewed of what I've found to be a budget gem of a brand. It can be found for under $20 and it's 100% agave. Those tequilas are always worth a try.

Aroma: Slightly earthy agave and vanilla with a hint of leather. Simple, but pleasant.
Initial Taste: Light and smooth entry. Sweet agave and vanilla are the primary flavors.
Body: Semi-thin body with nice hints of baking spice and light wood. Pretty good, but not as complex as some.
Finish: A fairly short and smooth finish. Light flavors of vanilla and oak...not much spice or agave to finish this one.

This tequila is really easy to drink at every step along the way. It's light, not too aggressive in any aspect and has pleasant flavors of vanilla and spice. It's not something that you're going to want to serve on special occasions, but it's something that can be easily sipped as a daily or budget drink. For under $20, this is one to check out. It's definitely good for the price and you might just fall in love with it. Given what else is out there for the same price, you can certainly do worse.
TT
#1 Reviewer 414 reviews
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0