Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What is your preferred margarita?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAgave View Post
    All natural for me, I can't stand most restaurant marg's or mixes anymore.

Shot o Tequila - Juice from half a lime - 2 teaspoons Agave Nectar - Ice
    I make these now, I find them refreshing and delicious. Have made them for others that are used to the standard Cuervo Gold slushee type drink and they can't believe how good this simple drink is!
    Salut!

Default Little Water

My margarita is one-third Ora Azu Blanco, one-third fresh squeezed lime juice and one-third bottled water sweetened with raw agave nectar to taste. The glass decanter is placed in the freezer until ice crystals start to form. Fantastic. If I'm in a hurry a couple of ice cubes replace the water and the freezing process..

Quote Originally Posted by MargaritaLover View Post
    My margarita is one-third Ora Azu Blanco, one-third fresh squeezed lime juice and one-third bottled water sweetened with raw agave nectar to taste. The glass decanter is placed in the freezer until ice crystals start to form. Fantastic. If I'm in a hurry a couple of ice cubes replace the water and the freezing process..
    And I can speak from experience when I say that it is one tasty margarita!
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

I hit the nail on the head today: 2 cups Camarena Blanco, 1/2 cup Grand Marnier, 2 cups squeezed lime juice, 1 9/16 cup agave nectar, 2 cups water. Add salt to outside rim of martini glass, garnish with lime, fill glass with ice. Shake mix in sealed jar, pour many goood margaritas...

I've been making prickly pear margaritas lately due to them being in season. They taste like a combo of watermelon-raspberry-tomato.

The fruit must be peeled with caution and blended to a fine consistency. The thick juice, which is riddled with seeds and pulp, must be strained through two mesh sieves. Acid must be added as well to cut the bland sweetness. Therefore, I always add a little lime juice and water. Sometimes it won't be sweet enough so a dash of light agave nectar which brings it to a nice balance. By itself, this makes a very tasty juice. But more lime is needed if you use it for a margarita.

I'll mix 2-3 oz. of the prickly pear juice mix in a shaker with ice, 1-1/2 shots of a budget tequila blanco like Camarena or Espolon, 1/2 shot of fresh lime juice, and a splash of orange liqueur. Pour from the shaker into a glass filled with fresh ice... No Salt Gringos!!!

blagave is offline Agave Aficionados

I went through the whole Prickly Pear thing...it was a pain in the butt finding the pears and then getting the juice and sugar mixture just right. I came across "Mama Rose's Prickly Pear Margarita Mix". The distributor is T.G. Greenfield out of Phoenix, Arizona (Ph 800-254-4774)

The mix is fantastic and there recipe is as follows:
    Mix 2 cups of Prickly Pear Margarita Mix
    1/2 cup Tequila
    2oz triple Sec
    Blend with ice until slushy, pour into favorite margarita glass add more tequila to accommodate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't like using premade mixes, but prickly pear nectar is fantastic as a sweetener/flavor booster. It's 100% prickly pear juice which has been reduced/concentrated. It's the same texture as agave syrup and can be bought online.

Quote Originally Posted by blagave View Post
    I went through the whole Prickly Pear thing...it was a pain in the butt finding the pears and then getting the juice and sugar mixture just right. I came across "Mama Rose's Prickly Pear Margarita Mix". The distributor is T.G. Greenfield out of Phoenix, Arizona (Ph 800-254-4774)

The mix is fantastic and there recipe is as follows:
    Mix 2 cups of Prickly Pear Margarita Mix
    1/2 cup Tequila
    2oz triple Sec
    Blend with ice until slushy, pour into favorite margarita glass add more tequila to accommodate.

I love margs.

Does anyone else throw a drop or two of water in there with it?

I tend to like mine pretty orangey so I go 1:1 on the tequila and cointreau (sometimes 1.5 on the tequila if it's something a bit gentler), then lime juice it's usually a quarter of a lime's worth (but our limes are VERY juicy, so that's probably the equivalent of half a lime elsewhere), then two quick squirts of agave nectar (I'd guess that's a couple of bar spoon's worth? Maybe less...). Then probably 0.5-1 of water as well, and a good, LONG shake with a lot of ice.

I find the extra water gives it a more refreshing 'wetter' effect (I know that sounds stupid, but it's difficult to describe).

Also, if you have a bottle of Bols Strawberry, try that instead of the triple sec (use a bit less, it's VERY sweet), it makes an awesome Strawberita

Whenever I've done a marg without a liqueur I've always ended up wishing that I'd just had the tequila straight.

Quote Originally Posted by AxeSlash View Post
    I love margs.

Does anyone else throw a drop or two of water in there with it?

I tend to like mine pretty orangey so I go 1:1 on the tequila and cointreau (sometimes 1.5 on the tequila if it's something a bit gentler), then lime juice it's usually a quarter of a lime's worth (but our limes are VERY juicy, so that's probably the equivalent of half a lime elsewhere), then two quick squirts of agave nectar (I'd guess that's a couple of bar spoon's worth? Maybe less...). Then probably 0.5-1 of water as well, and a good, LONG shake with a lot of ice.

I find the extra water gives it a more refreshing 'wetter' effect (I know that sounds stupid, but it's difficult to describe).

Also, if you have a bottle of Bols Strawberry, try that instead of the triple sec (use a bit less, it's VERY sweet), it makes an awesome Strawberita

Whenever I've done a marg without a liqueur I've always ended up wishing that I'd just had the tequila straight.
    I add a little water, but basically do it by diluting my agave syrup to make it easier to pour and less sweet. Wow, I'll bet yours is pretty sweet and orangey.

Not that we are counting calories here, but I have calculated the calorie count on a puro (just tequila, lime juice, and agave syrup) to be about 200 calories. That's 120 calories for two ounces of tequila, 60 calories for the agave syrup, and rounding-up 20 calories for a little more of either ingredient. I would suspect your recipe with all that Cointreau pushes it well over 300 calories per drink. I gained about 5 lbs pretty quickly when I started drinking a couple of ritas every night.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789