Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your preferred margarita?

Default Re: What is your preferred margarita?

I do love the standard margarita recipe posted earlier in this thread, but I gotta say that I am intrigued by the pineapple juice, Kamikazee. I'll have to try that someday, as both I and my husband are crazy about pineapple.

So I'm sitting here after a really long day at the restaurant, just after a hot bath, my feet in my auto-massager, and swimming in an ice-cold Paloma (since I'm almost out of limes). It seems we always thought tequila and lime were soulmates; it turns out that tequila has been seeing grapefruit on the side - they make quite the pair.

Also, Paloma gives me an outlet for the ultra-fuely Dos Lunas Blanco. I can't deal with the nose just drinking it from a snifter or Riedel or even mixed in a margarita - but in a Paloma, it's all good.

Its very good to me, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how well pineapple pairs with blanco tequila. I am also a pineapple lover as well.

El Carmen keeps a jar of pineapple infused blanco. It pairs well.

Pineapple infused blanco?! Hello, reason for getting up this morning...

Please explain the fusion process to me. I thought you would just buy a whole pineapple; cut it into small 1" squares. Put them in a bottle of tequila and wait....?

Does this work well with only blancos, or reposados as well?

I'm curious because it would be a very interesting twist to a margarita...

Now I'm starting to think of other fruits that may fuse with a good blanco; Watermelon, HoneyDew, Stawberry....maybe even kiwi...

Oh my, with my pending aging experiments and now the idea of fusing...I will have a funny looking counter in my kitchen...it will probably look like im manufacturing something illegal...

But please spill the beans on the fusion process because I would think that this would make a very unique twist on a natural margarita. I know you can go purchase flavored mixto tequilas around here like JC Tropina (pineapple)...but it is absolutely disgusting and very sweet and oily...
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

I know my local Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse keeps a jar of pineapple infused vodka in the bar, they call it 'Moose Juice'. They use a jar with a spiggot on the bottom with sliced pineapple in the jar and then top it off with vodka. The jars looked very similar to the one Mr. A used for his aging experiment.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

Tequila Novice (as well as first time poster here after lurking for a couple of weeks). My first mixed drink ever at home was Mr. A's recipe exaclty made with Partida repo (or is it shortened to Respo, seen both?) and all I can say is WOW, it was truly fantastic. After only having experiencing "top shelf" restaurant marg's, I must say I can't believe the how different and how you truly can experience the Agave. Used RAW Agave Nectar from local health food store (they had TONs of options for Agave Nectar). Thanks Mr. A and can't wait to share. Now to a question:

Live in rural Georgia, and my local package store has lot's of "lower end" Tequila's, and on the higher end are Patron, Cabo Wabo, Jose Cuervo Platino, and Partida. Even looked in their distributors catalog, and couldn't find many of the brands on the short list I have put together. Chose Partida Repo as my first sipper/high end mixer, but think I want to try a lesser Blanco for my natural margarita's. I did see of ton of 1800's on the lower shelves, some in larger bottles. Would 1800 silver be a good house mix for this margarita?

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Welcome!!! I use 1800 silver on occasion, it's fine for a house mix. Some people also like the Sauza Hornitos, I didn't care for their anejo but have never tried the blanco. Just about any good 100% agave tequila will work in a margarita. You just have to experiment, as a rule of thumb for me is, if it tastes good by itself then it'll be fine in a margarita.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

IMHO the reposado is better for margaritas than the blanco or anejo of the 1800 line. I really dont like the anejo at all but I am very picky about my aged tequilas. I wouldnt suggest the new 1800 Select Silver (100 proof) to anyone...its not good in margaritas or straight. The silver is good as well for margaritas, I just prefer the repo of the line.

Its nice to see they at least carry Partida; to be honest I am yet to try them out. I think every store around here carries it but I find myself bringing something else home usually. I should sucker up and get a bottle. Anyways, I LOVE Cuervo Platino in a margarita. The only other of the Cuervo brand that is somewhat tollerable in a marg is the Traditional but your much better off with the Platino if you can fork the cash for it.

Try ordering online to find better deals; my preferred store is wineandliquordepot.com - I preach this so much on this forum that I feel like they should be paying me. Good shipping rates/prices and a selection to impress....

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I think I will try and make some Don Valente Blanco 'ritas tonight...I really enjoy spicing it up with different fruits...I really like DV for my margaritas and straight from a glass. The tequila has a wonderful earthy aroma and taste that I have not seen in other tequilas.

Some ideas I've tried that you may like as well...Mangos, Cantaloupe, Melon, Kiwi, and Pineapple. Usually I purchase the fresh fruit and either I squeeze and strain the juices out...or I chop the fruit into little pieces and I let it rest in 4-5 oz's of tequila (or more) for any amount of time (generally at least 8 hours)...this isnt exactly a "fusion" but its very similar. The flavors of the fruit come out into the tequila and I mix it with a traditional margarita recipe (give or take on the ammounts for your preference)....

You can get really creative, I'd love to hear of other fruits some of you may try or have tried. I've even thought organic fruits with 4 Copas would be fun...I doubt it taste much different than "non-organic" fruits though.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast