Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your preferred margarita?

Default Re: What is your preferred margarita?

I've been experimenting with more "authentic" margaritas that don't use the sugary mixes. I've found that freshly squeezed lime juice blows the bottled stuff out of the water (won't be using bottled lime juice anymore).... however the million dollar question: How in the world do you get a margarita DRINK (note the word "drink") out of just a shot of tequila, some freshly squeezed lime juice, and a few teaspoons of agave necter.... this is more like a shooter than a margarita? Even if you add ice, there isn't much liquid to drink.... Do you add chilled water? Just wondering....

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Just the contents and ice in mine, seems to fill a margarita glass perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by stunman
    I've been experimenting with more "authentic" margaritas that don't use the sugary mixes. I've found that freshly squeezed lime juice blows the bottled stuff out of the water (won't be using bottled lime juice anymore).... however the million dollar question: How in the world do you get a margarita DRINK (note the word "drink") out of just a shot of tequila, some freshly squeezed lime juice, and a few teaspoons of agave necter.... this is more like a shooter than a margarita? Even if you add ice, there isn't much liquid to drink.... Do you add chilled water? Just wondering....
    Most margs are made with more than a 'shot'. 2-3oz total of alcohol seems to be a good starting point. Remember that you're adding an equivalent amount of lime juice (or there abouts... some would suggest more). That gives you a minimum 4-6oz drink... hand shake and serve on ice. If the glass is bigger, use more of everything!
    “I’d hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.”<br />- - Hunter S. Thompson

After watching a History Channel documentary on distilleries, I have recently become interested in Tequila again.
    Through my normal searching process, I came across this site/forum.

I tried MrAgave's recipe and have to say, I think it's the best I've had yet. The total volume I made was quite larger however. I've been using 24oz Hefty brand plastic cups filled with ice. So, the perfect amount was 4-5oz of Blanco, juice of two limes (approx. 3oz), and I used seven teaspoons of blue agave nectar. And of course, shaken in a metal shaker with ice.

I will also confirm that Super Target does indeed have Agave nectar, right next to the honey.

Finally, when I first went to this site, I made a list of nine of the top ten editor rated Blancos. I had previously purchased Patron, so I didn't have that on my list. So I go to the liquor store near my apartment, which happens to be one of the two largest in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I walk to the tequila isle... and to my amazement... I could not locate a single tequila on my list. I spoke to an employee who then searched their distributor's database for each one. He was able to only locate the 1921, and he special ordered the Blanco for me.

Apparently, Oklahoma has some very strange alcohol laws. Whatever department is responsible for alcohol very selectively picks what can and can't be brought into the state. And I've got to say, that really blows, especially since I am very eager to try different tequilas right -now-. Hopefully my interest will last into August, when I'll be traveling to the eastern part of the country.

Other than my previous experiments with Cuervo Gold a few years ago (which I now find utterly repulsive), I have only tried Patron Blanco, Herradura Blanco & Anejo, and my most recent purchase... Don Julio Blanco. I am interesting in hearing your opinions on these particular ones, and which "flavor" of tequila you all most prefer.

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by haux
    Apparently, Oklahoma has some very strange alcohol laws. Whatever department is responsible for alcohol very selectively picks what can and can't be brought into the state. And I've got to say, that really blows, especially since I am very eager to try different tequilas right -now-. Hopefully my interest will last into August, when I'll be traveling to the eastern part of the country.
    Have you tried ordering online? Colorado has a decent selection, but there are always other brands from other states that I want to try or collect. Try calling some of the online stores and ask if they can ship to you, typically the shipping on several bottles makes it worthwhile. RamirezLiquor.com - ShoppersVineyard.com - HiTimeWine.com - MissionLiquor.com

Quote Originally Posted by haux
    Finally, when I first went to this site, I made a list of nine of the top ten editor rated Blancos.
    Darin gets all the respect.

Dont forget wineandliquordepot.com

Excellent shipping rates and some of the best prices I've seen online. They are very friendly over the phone and I received 4 bottles to Texas last week and were all very well packed for a shipping fee of 21.00.

If you do venture out, try Don Augustin Blanco for your margs....its a sipper for sure but at 25.00 a bottle you cant go wrong putting some in margs....

I think I may prefer Palomas now...I will include a new recipe I came up with in another thread.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Ok, another idea came to mind. An acquaintance of mine is up in Illinois and will be passing through here on his way home shortly. I think I might just have him make a run to the liquor store for me.

I'm thinking about having him get three bottles for me. I know for sure I want to try 4 Copas Blanco, and possibly Don Valente Blanco. I will mention Don Augustin Blanco as well, if it can be found there.

What are a couple others I should definitely add to the list in case one or more of the above are unavailable?

For margaritas, most of those in my opinion are too good to mix up...

Of course get some Don Valente , but get the Artesenal if you are not wanting a collector bottle...the tequilas are the same in both the Artesenal and Licorera blanco bottles but the price difference is significant...

Mixing wise; Don Valente also makes a mixto that is worth trying called Tequilito Gold...it makes great margaritas and runs under 20.00 a bottle.

Other popular choices around my house include: Fina Estampa Blanco, Don Augustin Blanco, Jose Cuervo Platino, El Tesoro...but as mentioned above...most of those are sipping blancos. Sotol HDC Blanco and LunAzul make 100% Agave sotol and tequilas that are under 20 for a bottle and arent too bad.

Dont forget Reposados for a different taste...they work well too, some better than others.

By the way, if your in Oklahoma...drive down to Texas for a much better selection in the Dallas area...
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

I haven't really gotten into the whole sipping thing yet. The closest I've come so far is yesterday, when something I had eaten earlier in the day was killing my stomach. I've heard that alcohol helps with digestion, so I had three shots of Don Julio with some lime juice. And to my amazement, a few minutes later I was able to... `get rid' of the... unwanted matter. I may get into it some day though.

Price isn't really a factor for me at the moment. Well... I'd have to think really hard about paying over $60 for a 750ml, but otherwise, I'm willing to try anything that is considered to be one of the best.

Today I picked up that bottle of 1921 that the liquor store special ordered for me. I can't believe I had to actually search online how to open up the darn thing... with almost the whole neck being covered in wax. Is this a Blanco that is supposed to be good for Margaritas? ...or is it a "sipper?"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast