Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canned Pulque

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Default Canned Pulque

So I finally tried some pulque from a can last weekend, I had ordered it online and bought some flavored pulque and original. The brand is PULQUE Hacienda 1881, and their web site is http://torregrande.com.mx/

I cracked the original and we passed it around between several friends, and the can says 100% fermented agave juice. It reminded me of a wine cooler, zima maybe, flavor similar to a white wine. I have to be honest and say that my first impression of Pulque is not real high, and I expected something totally different. We each took a sip and that was it...

I have 3 other pulque flavors to try, Limon, Passion Fruit, and coconut/pineapple. Maybe these will be more enjoyable.

Default Re: Canned Pulque

In Los Angeles I found 4 flavors at Rameriez Liquor store. Interesting flavors for a canned drink, I liked the 'musty' aspect of the drink.

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

Well I got to try this product at the SoM. I was quite happy to see it there as I have been wanting to try Pulque since our first trip to Mexico but it has never panned out. Now I don't think this has totally quenched my quest to try "true" Pulque but I think this was a good introduction and what I sorta expected. Not very tastie, sort of bland and starchy but heck the Aztecs created it not for the taste but to get buzzed. The flavor ones would probably be better as I think that it would take well to other flavors.

I still want to try some at a dusty road side stand in the back country of Mexico.

I tried a bottled drink that was Fermented Pulque...I had the natural flavor and I bought a 12 oz Guava flavor...both were possibly the worst drink I've ever had...one sip and down the drain for both.

I know this isnt the Pulque you speak of....this is a Pulque Wine but I wouldnt reccomend it to anyone. I cant remember the name off the top of my head...I did find it interesting that they included all the vitamins and minerals on the nutrition label on the back next to the sticker that said 7% Alc....lol....but it was very rich in nutrients.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Unhappy

The wait is over. I finally tried a canned version of pulque that you guys have mentioned awhile back. It was labeled "Pulque La Lucha", natural fermented agave nectar...The original drink of Mexico...older than tequila, stronger than beer! I chilled it and poured it into a small cocktail glass. The result? I tasted a very strong fermented, almost sour and milky taste. I have heard that it is how it is supposed to taste. Personally, I find it not very palatable at all. I really couldn't get past just a few sips before I got rid of it. I am sure that it is not anything like the rare authentic juice found in Mexico however, if it is anything closely resembling the stuff I just tried, I don't think I will be acquiring a taste any time soon!
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

Much agreed! Yuck. Not my cup of tea. I doubt in 6 pack form its the natural wine of Mexico. I find it very disturbingly sour.
    Last edited by bn087; February 11th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

I tried the plain PULQUE Hacienda and I actually liked it. It was not sweet like the others I tried which are awful. It was sort of like a wine cooler though slightly tart. The brand in the bottle (La Lucha?) was foul!

Default In defense of pulque

I realize I'm joining this discussion a couple years too late, but this is my first post to the boards, so I thought I'd chime in with something I know a little bit about.

I would definitely not recommend canned pulque to anybody, since part of what makes pulque so strange (and delicious, in my opinion) is the fact that it normally isn't done fermenting when you drink it. The proprietors of the pulquería I frequent in Mexico City have claimed that it actually continues to ferment in your stomach, which a lot of people experience as a kind of bloating similar to the feeling I get when I drink beer. It's supposed to be good for digestion, as well as loaded with vitamins, but I haven't noticed any dramatic digestive effects either way.

The general consensus seems to be that pulque should be consumed within one or two days of its production, so I can't imagine that canned pulque would compare with the real thing, which I find quite pleasant to drink.

For anyone visiting Mexico City, fresh pulque is available in one of the corner stalls in Plaza Garibaldi, and as of 2009 it's also available at a hip, divey bar in La Roma, called Mellizo Lonch (on Álvaro Obregón near the intersection with Tonalá).

And for the record, the Mexica didn't invent pulque to get buzzed -- it was a ceremonial drink associated with religious communion with spirits and divinities, similar to chicha in the Andes.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for a very interesting and informative post.
    Of all the things I've lost during my life, I miss my mind the most!

Quote Originally Posted by xtopher View Post
    And for the record, the Mexica didn't invent pulque to get buzzed -- it was a ceremonial drink associated with religious communion with spirits and divinities, similar to chicha in the Andes.
    Would you mind citing your source for such information; I'd love to read more about it. TIA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast