Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the key elements to a home bar?

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Default Re: What are the key elements to a home bar?

You can pick up a bottle of 1921 Crema de Tequila. I just picked some up for the holidays, drink it on the rocks or put it in coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

I have thought about that gsars1....

As soon as I posted last I was thinking, well there is Agavero, 1921 Cream, and Tequila Rose. I do not like tequila rose at all, its decent in Hot Cocoa...

What qualities does the 1921 have. I heard its great but for 30 bucks I dont know if I would be willing to chance it. Is it more similar to a sweetened creamer or does it have a certain flavor? Is the only good mix for it with coffee...? I read some information but there isnt much out there for it. There is also that Pepper Infused Tequila...it may be a good mix also for the holidays but I've never tried it.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Actually bn, I haven't tried it yet . I will next week, I have heard good things about it though and I bought 2 more for gifts. I'll let you know how it tastes, I plan to just drink it on the rocks, not in coffee, but I may try it after seeing how it is by itself.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

1921 Crema tastes good on the rocks and in a coffee, I would say its half way between Kaluha and Baileys.

Tequila and eggnog tastes as good or better then Rum and eggnog. IMHO (Repo/Anejo)

wichie, could you post that recipe in the holiday agave drinks? Tequila eggnog sounds great but I would want the recipe to make it good. It sounds perfect to take over to the in-laws house for Thanksgiving, and/or Christmas. And if anyone else has holiday drink recipes that include agave spirits, let me hear them!

As for the bar supplies. I have a lot of good ideas, now we'll see if the liqour store carries what you guys have mentioned...I'll post back in a week or 2 and if anything was left out, let me know!
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Lots and lots of good advice and ideas, but when I started putting together a bar, I listened to what people were asking for at my parties and then if the demand was sufficient purchased what they had asked for. I think the demand will vary by locale and by the company at the party.

As an example, we have a couple of "regulars" that are die hard Royal Crown drinkers and a couple that are just as fanatic about gin - only one "demands" Tanquery while the other is hooked on Bombay. We also get a big variety in the whiskey category - from the Johnny Walker folks to the Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Gentleman Jack, etc, but almost no one asks about Southern Comfort. Go figure.

Robert

Some good vodkas:

Chopin Vodka – Poland – some say the best in the world, Chopin is a luxury vodka distilled from potatoes, named after Polish composer Frederic Chopin. Seven pounds of potatoes are used to make just one bottle.

Ketel One Vodka – Netherlands – distilled from pure wheat in an alembic copper pot, a method reserved for fine scotches and cognacs. Citrus and toasted cereal aromas. Sweet and spicy flavor.

Belvedere Vodka – Poland – ultra premium vodka distilled from rye and a lot better quality for the money than Grey Goose.

Van Gogh Vodka – Netherlands – distilled using mostly wheat, some barley and corn in a copper potstill for extra smoothness. Citrus taste, silky texture.

Hangar One Vodka - USA - distilled from mid-western wheat in small batch, hand-operated pot-stills. A small amount of viognier grapes are then blended which adds to the smoothness and bouquet.

I currently have the following selections in my bar:

Tequila
    Penca Azul Blanco
    4 Copas Blanco
    El Don de Familia Plata
    Siete Leguas Blanco
    Ocho Blanco
    El Tesoro 70th Anniversario Extra Anejo

Vodka
    Chopin

Rum
    Myer's Dark (Used mostly for sauces and cooking or Mai Tais)
    Cachaca 51 (Brazilian sugar cane rum I use for Caipirinhas)

Whiskey
    V.O. Seagrams (Mix with soda for a simple, cheap Cocktail)

Brandy
    Kirschwasser (A clear cherry brandy I use in Sangria)

Cordials
    Grand Marnier (Used for cooking and Margaritas)
    Cointreau (Used for cooking and various Cocktails)
    Crme de Mure (French blackberry liqueur)

Red Wine
    Barbera d'Asti from Piedmont, Italy
    Chianti Classico from Tuscany, Italy
    Pinot Noir from California and Oregon
    Syrah from Northern Rhone, France

White Wine
    Riesling from Mosel, Germany and Finger Lakes, NY
    Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand
    Last edited by chefrob; October 15th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

I have an alcohol problem . . . storage. My bar includes a good selection of single malt and blended scotch, a dozen or more different vodkas, a varity of gin, plenty of mixers, and of course over 100 different tequilas.

A good Gin that is cheaper is Brooks.

I agree with J&B as an inexpensive scotch blend

I like 10 Cane Rum but it's a little pricey and only important for drinks like Mojitos. Rum and Coke can be any kind

Look up chefrob's post on making your own grenadine and stay away from red corn syrup (your guests will love you for it)

You'll need sweet and dry vermouth for martinis; get little bottles since you use VERY LITTLE in a martini so it will last forever

Another key thing to do is slowly build up your sweet special alcohols like chambord and grand marnier. There are plenty of "cheaper" versions but many of those taste very synthetic.

My Motto, "Life is too short for cheap alcohol." Go out and take some time to order a well drink and a top shelf drink at the same time and determine where you are willing to compromise.

By the way, my 1921 Cream was a bit lumpy and not as good as Doebel.

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

They do have a expire date on them, if they are even close I don't buy them and I keep it in the fridge after I open it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrilicious View Post

By the way, my 1921 Cream was a bit lumpy and not as good as Doebel.

I've just started stocking my 'bar' up too; we always have the following on hand as a minimum:

Tequila
    Vodka
    Jack Daniels
    An orangey liqueur of some sort (Cointreau, Curacao or Grand Marnier spring to mind)
    Various citrus fruits for juicing and garnishing
    Agave Nectar
    LOTS of ice
    Rum
    Grenadine syrup
    Coke, because most people just want a '[insert spirit here] and coke'

I try and keep some of this in too if I know cocktails are gonna happen:

Vanilla liqueur (Galliano)
    Raspberry liqueur (Chambord, although I'll be looking for the Razzmatazz from now on, thanks! :P )
    7up or Sprite
    Almond Liqueur (Amaretto)
    A coffee liqueur (Tia Maria or Kahlua normally)
    A cream liqueur of some sort (usually Bailey's)
    Cranberry juice
    Orange juice
    Peach Schnapps

You can do most stuff with that, and if we're expecting any sippers at a party, there's a bottle of cognac and a good scotch (Dalwhinnie) at the back of the cupboard.

However, tastes are probably a little different here in the UK...

Which parts of the above you spend your hundred on will vary according to what kind of drinkers you're expecting and whether you're intending to do the more outlandish cocktails or the simpler stuff like G&Ts and Margs etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12