Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any cigar fans out there?

The S-Chip tax has already taken affect here at some stores. I smoke cigarettes and cigars (yes I'm a cancer patient waiting to happen), I usually smoke about 3/4 a pack of cigarettes a day and I really wish I could quit. I thought I could just switch to cigars instead but I can spend an hour smoking a large cigar and want a cigarette afterwards...so that didnt work as planned. Yesterday, the cigarette store that I purchase at regularly changed the price to 6.75 per pack instead of the 4.95 it used to be...I was in awe. If I quit smoking cigarettes, I could buy a nice bottle of tequila every week.

But since we are talking about cigars in this thread, I'll quit with the cigarette bitching.

I have ordered more Montecristo Media Noche's and 5 Vegas Golds. I like the 5 Vegas when I'm working in the yard on a saturday or sunday mid day, and I usually smoke the fuller bodied Media Noche at night when I have time to relax and sip tequila. I have some good pairings I have come up with when it comes to cigars/tequila.

Montecristo Media Noche is a full bodied rich yet smooth and bursting with flavor. The wrapper is a dark maduro conneticut. I enjoy this with an anejo on a warm and relaxing night. The two pair hand in hand. Another good choice is Cohiba as stated by totallytequila. I've never been much for smaller (cigarello) type cigars because I think they burn hot. Cohibas are a bit too pricey for me, the average box runs well over 200.00. The Montecristo Media Noche are not quite as expensive but definently a luxury cigar and can be found in the 12-15.00 price range for a single.

I prefer a lighter bodied cigar when I'm drinking a blanco. The fullness of a Domincan, Ecuadorian, or Nicaragua wrapped cigar sometimes takes your senses for a spin. The lighter conneticut wrappers are usually mild-medium bodied and pair well with a blanco or lightly aged reposado. 5 Vegas makes a PERFECT priced mild bodied cigar. For only 50-60 per box you can get a 5 Vegas Gold handmades. These cigars are mellow, burn slow and even, the wrappers are somewhat silky with oils and they do well with aging. I also like a Gurkha Sherpa, which is a new line of Gurkhas that is medium bodied and slightly more robust. Gurkha makes a mild bodied Park Avenue which is also good, I've only tried one though in a sampler I recently ordered.

I finally tried a Davidoff that someone mentioned in this thread previously. It was good, but honestly it wasnt worth the ticket on the cigar. 25.00 for a single. It was light bodied and I was impressed because it smoked so well, but at 400.00 a box...its not what I'm looking for on a budget at all!

I tried a Bacarat the other day which is mild bodied but with a sweetened tip. Cigar aficionados frown on these cigars because the sweetness takes away from the flavor. But I think it would go great with a cocktail, maybe a bourbon and coke...

All in all, I like cigars and I wish I could switch from cigarettes to cigars (they are somewhat unhealthy but not near as bad because I do not inhale cigars). But something about me always turns right back to the cigarette. I'm not addicted to the nicotine...its more of the process of smoking that I am addicted to.

If you made it to the end of my cigar nonsense then I congratulate you...lol. I typed my *** off.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Rocky Patel Sungrown Toros! YEAH!

I just got my new humidor in from papacigars.com. These guys knew that I was new to cigars and threw in a free humidor with my purchase! This exceeded my expectations fully from the company.

I stocked it with 10 Rocky Patel Sungrowns, 5 - 5 Vegas Miami Knuckles. I am currently awaiting a shipment for Oliva O Maduros to come in and also some Rocky Patel 1999 Conneticuts. I'm excited!

My personal favorites are La Libertad Robusto from Honduras, Romeo y Julieta No. 1 and quite recently I discovered a very good cigars called Cuaba Divinos, which was really smooth, rich and consistent till the end without it getting too strong like some cigars do.

Bn087, I am curious as you are speaking about Cuban brands such as Cohiba and Montecristo but next to your name it says you are from Texas. I was under the impression Cuban cigars were not allowed in the US??? Or is this the Dominican Cohiba cigar?

All the cigars I speak of are available in America. Unfortunately I have not had the honor of trying a "real" cuban cigar. Most are cuban seeds grown in the Dominican. I envy you trying the real thing. I should have been more clear on my post, so you do have my apologies on that.

The Cohiba I like is the Cohiba Black and also the Cohiba Puro Dominican which is not meant to be like the traditional cuban style.

The Montecristo Media Noche is also handmade in the Dominican. It has a tri-country filler from Peru, Nicaragua and of course the Domincan Republic. This is one of my absolute favorite cigars but they recently increased in a price that I cannot afford (250+ per box...which is way out of my league)

I've been into cigars and pipe smoking for over 35 years now. If I can be of help with any questions, I'd be happy to give you my thoughts. I have several hundred high-end cigars stashed in my Igloodors and many, many tins of tobacco stashed as well.

Just contact me via PM or email (johnnyflake@yahoo.com) and I'll do whatever I can to help you out!
    Of all the things I've lost during my life, I miss my mind the most!

Default Cigars

I'm going to a Kristoff cigar event at one of my local B&M's tomorrow which I'm really looking forward to. I haven't been a huge fan of their criollo line of cigars but they've come out with a new Ligero (med/full) line which is pretty good and has a nice flavor profile.

My boss and I usually try and set up something once a month or so where we can get together and have a drink & a cigar. We usually take our own bottle and alternate who brings the liquid. My boss is a real scotch drinker and would always turn his nose up when I said I was bringing tequila. The last couple of times I took the drinks I made sure to bring "good stuff" and I think I've finally converted him.......I think he looks forward to the tequila now.

It's funny how non-tequila drinkers have such a misconception of "good" tequila. I think most conjure up images of slamming shots of JC Gold or something with a worm in it.

I've tried many beauties in the cigar world lately. Padron #4000 Maduro, Davidoff No. 2 (thanks to an undisclosed source), Perdomo 10th Anniv Maduro, RP 99 Vintage Conn...

I havent been on tequila.net in a few weeks. Things have been a bit hectic.

Quote Originally Posted by bn087 View Post
    I've tried many beauties in the cigar world lately. Padron #4000 Maduro, Davidoff No. 2 (thanks to an undisclosed source), Perdomo 10th Anniv Maduro, RP 99 Vintage Conn...

Welcome back Brad! I was wondering where you have been. Hope all is well. I too enjoy the Rocky Vintage Conneticut's....very nice smoke! Haven't yet tried the other one's you mentioned.
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bn087 View Post

I was also wondering where you've been.

It's good to see you back!
    Of all the things I've lost during my life, I miss my mind the most!

I had a couple glasses of Casa Noble Anejo last night with a Don Pepin Garcia - Cuban Classic robusto, man was that pair good. I was getting some different tastes in the CN from the spice of the DPG, it was really a good combination I thought.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast