Thread: Tahona

Default Tahona

I am in the midst of redoing my back yard patio area and since my bar is all about Tequila should not my yard be also. Since our climate is not the best for agave I thought that the next best thing would be a tahona which is a grinding stone for grinding the agave. Does anyone know of any for sale? I realize that they are heavy and shipping is a pain, but the pain may be worth it. Even shipping it out of Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalotom View Post
    I am in the midst of redoing my back yard patio area and since my bar is all about Tequila should not my yard be also. Since our climate is not the best for agave I thought that the next best thing would be a tahona which is a grinding stone for grinding the agave. Does anyone know of any for sale? I realize that they are heavy and shipping is a pain, but the pain may be worth it. Even shipping it out of Mexico.
    I know that in some cases, some of the original tahona wheels measured up to eight feet in diameter, from two to three feet thick, and weighed as much as ten tons! Now that being said, even if you could find a much smaller one, that still would have to be one heavy son of a b*#ch! I'd hate to have to pay the shipping charges on that one! Good luck BT! I do however like your 'tahona in the backyard' idea. I wonder if the wife would kick me out of the house if she came home to an authentic tahona wheel sitting in our yard!
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

Maybe contact your local landscape place and see if they could do a custom concrete cast?

Or buy yourself a big rock, hammer and chissel....

Styrofoam is a versatile material for construction of film and theater sets. It can be used to build just about anything you can imagine. In order to shape and mold Styrofoam to the shapes and forms you need, you first need the proper tools. After that, you need the right Styrofoam. For the best detail, dense Styrofoam is the best choice. You can usually find it at places like Lowe's or Home Depot. Due to it's light weight, Styrofoam makes an ideal material for the construction of fake stone, whether it be for film, stage, or hobby use.

1Glue polystyrene foam insulation sheets together until you reach the desired thickness for your tahona. Spray craft glue works well but, a cool glue gun is also an option

2Draw the basic outline of the tahona on one the top of the foam sheet

3Cut the tahona out

4Make cracks and crevasses in the tahona using a butter knife. Make these slightly wider than you actually want them. Very thin cracks and crevasses won't be visible on the finished tahona

5Apply a thin layer of grout over the stockings. Follow the manufacturer's directions when mixing the grout but, add extra water a little at a time until the grout is thinner than normal. Allow this layer to dry for at least 24 hours

6Paint the tahona Use an acrylic based spray paint for the base coat. If you want to add realistic markings, use a fine tipped detail paintbrush and acrylic paint after the base coat dries

7Apply a water-based sealant to the fake tahona

Hope this helps Tom

Thanks for the thoughts. This really could work. Many thanks, Tom

Your welcome. You still busy? Come over and have a drink I still have your bottles
    Paul

Great idea WasI, I was thinking make one out of MDF to get a little of the weight but use a faux finish to make it look real.