Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelf Life of Tequila

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Default Shelf Life of Tequila

I know we have discussed this quite a bit lately, and here is an interesting article regarding the shelf life of spirits compared to wines.

"Full-proof spirits don't expire," said John Bilello, brand manager for William Grant & Sons USA, an importer of high-end scotch, gin, vodka, tequila and other fine spirits. "After many, many years, you may have some evaporation, and the flavor profile may change, but only slightly. Most people probably wouldn't notice the difference."

By "many, many years," Bilello is talking 30 or more. By "full-proof spirits," he means distillates that are at least 80 proof, or 40 percent alcohol, the standard strength for most whiskey, vodka, gin, rum, tequila and brandy.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dini...ethe_long.html

Default Re: Shelf Life of Tequila

Thats interesting. We have talked about this in the forum before and there was some debate. Thanks for the article and clearing things up!
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Unfortunately, I dont think I could keep my tequila on my shelf long enough to expire!@
    Tequila, el espíritu de mexico, mi quierido.

This is why I had a bottle of tequila last exactly 30 years without any degradation. In fact it actually got better with age!

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

Which bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe
    This is why I had a bottle of tequila last exactly 30 years without any degradation. In fact it actually got better with age!

Good to know my Ley 925 diamond-encrusted platinum bottle will remain delicious for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by wichie13
    Which bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe
    This is from an earlier post:
    "I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but I once had a bottle of Sauza Conmemorativo that I inherited from my father, vintage 1966. It was first opened in 1972, hidden away from me for obvious reasons, not opened again until 1988, opened again in 1996, given to me, & finally finished in May, 2002. I think we all agree this is not exactly an outstanding tequila, but those last few drinks, enjoyed in a brandy snifter, tasted like a very fine VSOP Cognac & had the color of dark honey. That tequila was opened & closed a number of times in a thirty year period & actually improved with bottle aging. I was so impressed I saved the bottle & box it came in."

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

Thanks I missed that for some reason.....

MrAgave is offline Administrator

I talked to Juan Collado of Tequila 1921 yesterday regarding the shelf life of the 1921 Tequila Cream, and he said that they are good for 12 months, and sometims up to 18 months after bottling. The unfortunate thing is that they do not post an expiration date, only a LOT number. So not knowing how long it has been sitting on the store shelf, ask the store if the product can be returned if it has gone sour.

It gets used up quick at my house, no spoilage... :P

Is that before opening? How about after opening on the Tequila con Crema?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast