Thread: In the Freezer?

Default In the Freezer?

I have a friend who puts his blancos (or even some repos) in the freezer. I tried it and I have to say I like it. It seems to bring out some different flavors. Am I crazy or wrong to do this? Does anyone else do it? Is it a sin against the Lords de Agave?

In my world, Id consider it a sin! But Im a straight up room temp sipper. I feel like when its freezing temperature, the cold kind of numbs the flavor out for me. THats my humble opinion.
    Tequila, el espíritu de mexico, mi quierido.

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

I believe we just discussed this a week ago or so. I wouldn't put any tequila in the freezer except 1921 Tequila Cream. I think it will definitely numb the flavors and dry out the cork and cause evaporation. Remember a fridge and freezers are also dehumidifiers.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gsars1 View Post
    I believe we just discussed this a week ago or so. I wouldn't put any tequila in the freezer except 1921 Tequila Cream. I think it will definitely numb the flavors and dry out the cork and cause evaporation. Remember a fridge and freezers are also dehumidifiers.
    Good point. I notice every time I do it, the cork shrinks or breaks. I do experience plenty of flavor, though. My buddy does it, so Ithought I'd try it. I don't think there's anything to be gained. That's what ice is for, right?

I also thought it was a sin to put tequila in the freezer until I had some at a master distillers house. he called it "baby oil" because it was so thick and creamy, and it did not seem to lose any flavor at all. although, he did say that he'd never put an aged tequila in the freezer.

I once tried it with Tradicional( since they kind of promote this way of drinking this Tequila) and thought it was a little to numb for my taste buds, then I tried it @ room Temp and since then I have never put any Tequila in the Freezer or Coolerand Im pretty sure I wont do it again

Quote Originally Posted by PaleRider View Post
    Good point. I notice every time I do it, the cork shrinks or breaks. I do experience plenty of flavor, though. My buddy does it, so Ithought I'd try it. I don't think there's anything to be gained. That's what ice is for, right?
    Yeah, but the only problem I have with chilling tequila with ice is it dilutes it too much. To this day my wife prefers her blancos chilled. I've tried to get her to sip & appreciate tequila at room temperature but to no avail. It's only recently that I have been able to get her to even sample something other than Patron blanco.......Penca Azul, JCPRDL, ETB, CNB, etc, etc, so...... to keep the peace I keep a bottle of Patron Blanco in the refrig just for her! What can I say? Married for almost 20 years so if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Quote Originally Posted by totallytequila View Post
    Yeah, but the only problem I have with chilling tequila with ice is it dilutes it too much. To this day my wife prefers her blancos chilled. I've tried to get her to sip & appreciate tequila at room temperature but to no avail. It's only recently that I have been able to get her to even sample something other than Patron blanco.......Penca Azul, JCPRDL, ETB, CNB, etc, etc, so...... to keep the peace I keep a bottle of Patron Blanco in the refrig just for her! What can I say? Married for almost 20 years so if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Just keep the shot glass or snifter in the freezer, that'll make it cold for her to enjoy and not water it down, then everyone is happy .
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!