Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First look at Republic Tequila

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Thumbs up First look at Republic Tequila

Cinco de Mayo tasting with organic Republic Tequila due to launch in Texas next month (June 09). Republic Tequila is from Tequilera La Quemada, NOM 1457, and will be presented in 2 different bottle styles for Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo.

The bottles shown here are specific to the tasting, the other 2 styles that will be distributed are different, one bottle in the shape of Texas. I will post more pics once I have them available. Good stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

This organic labeling is getting a little ridiculous. Just another reason to jack the prices up higher than they have to be. If it's alcohol, that's been distilled, then does it matter if it's organic?
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

About time something from La Quemada is available here! D, do you know if it's going to be accessible in Dallas? I would love to bring it out to my annual July 4th tequila tasting.
    Quien quiere un tequilaso....

MrAgave is offline Administrator

It should, kicking off in Austin and I believe all over the state of TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    About time something from La Quemada is available here! D, do you know if it's going to be accessible in Dallas? I would love to bring it out to my annual July 4th tequila tasting.

I agree on the organic labeling...its similar to fancy bottles...its more of a way to get sales. I will buy a "Texas" shaped bottle any day...that marketing is working on me
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

That's great, give me the 411 when you hear anything about it, gracias!
    Quien quiere un tequilaso....

Quote Originally Posted by gsars1 View Post
    This organic labeling is getting a little ridiculous. Just another reason to jack the prices up higher than they have to be. If it's alcohol, that's been distilled, then does it matter if it's organic?
    not that I have proof, but I'd say that the difference in taste from a vintage JCRF ('95-'97) and a newer release JCRF, is due to the use of pesticides, herbicides and other "elemnets" that happen to get into the agave fields and in the water used to make tequila.

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Quote Originally Posted by *45* View Post
    not that I have proof, but I'd say that the difference in taste from a vintage JCRF ('95-'97) and a newer release JCRF, is due to the use of pesticides, herbicides and other "elemnets" that happen to get into the agave fields and in the water used to make tequila.
    Like you said, I would need to see proof. Also the organic rules from one country to another are quite different. I remember reading about the term 'organic' in Comsumer Reports that in this country has very loose guidelines as compared to how strict the Dutch are. I got a feeling they are even looser in Mexico. I would think that now with the organic craze as the new rage here that we have gotten more strict. I know now there has to be a certain area of a buffer zone near a crop to protect from pesticide runoff and polluted water supplies and the land has to be dormant for at least 7 years with no crops or fertilizers used in order to use it for a organic crop.

Hey, I wonder if they still use Paraquat down there... I remember that crazy crap back in the late '70s.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

Like you said, I would need to see proof. Also the organic rules from one country to another are quite different. I remember reading about the term 'organic' in Comsumer Reports that in this country has very loose guidelines as compared to how strict the Dutch are. I got a feeling they are even looser in Mexico. I would think that now with the organic craze as the new rage here that we have gotten more strict. I know now there has to be a certain area of a buffer zone near a crop to protect from pesticide runoff and polluted water supplies and the land has to be dormant for at least 7 years with no crops or fertilizers used in order to use it for a organic crop.

Hey, I wonder if they still use Paraquat down there... I remember that crazy crap back in the late '70s.
    actually, I'd say that most of the smaller distilleries use agave that are not treated with unnatural supplements. it's just that only a few of them have been keeping records of how they care for their land, while most agaveros never thought about it until 4 Copas was certified by BioAgriCert. It was a costly and time consuming project to get certified, but it did change the tequila industry in more ways than one and hopefully in the long term, it will be better for it.

edited to add...I'm not surprised about Republic being certified organic as it is from the same distillery as 4 Copas (La Quemada NOM 1457), but from a marketing stand point it does.
    Last edited by *45*; May 8th, 2009 at 02:37 AM.

As the brand manager for Republic Tequila, I have learned a lot about the organic certification process. It is a pretty time intensive certification process that includes not only the blue agave, but the production facilities as well. Bioagricert, the certifying body, monitors the distillery for 2+ years to ensure that no chemicals or foreign elements are used in any part of the production process. La Quemada does not even use cleaning products that contain chemicals.

The blue agave used in Republic Tequila is estate grown, so the distillery has complete control of the plants while they are grown. No herbicides, pesticides or other chemicals are used.

The distillation process of Republic Tequila is completely natural. The blue agave is allowed to aerobically ferment, no foreign yeasts are introduced.

La Quemada also takes great care to produce as little waste as possible. The decomposition of the agave fiber is accelerated and then used as biofertilizer. The residual waste water is used to water the agave plantations.

At Republic Tequila, we are very proud of our organic certification, and know that La Quemada works very hard to operate within the standards that Bioagricert sets forth.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. June 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
  2. June 12th, 2009, 07:14 AM
  3. May 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM