Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What other Mezcal?

Tequila Joe is offline TequilaForACause.com

Default Re: What other Mezcal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
    I see Los Danzantes as a recommendation, does anyone have a review or tasting notes on the anejo. I have a place that offered it to me at cost to get my opinion but I have not been a big fan of mezcal in the past. However, I am surious and would like to hear more about others experience with this mezcal before I would buy it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    So I tried the Los Danzantes anejo and was not a fan. The smoke was so over powering that it hindered my tasting experience. It was so strong that I had to have the bartender mix it into a mixed drink for me. I will continue my search for a favorite mezcal but for now I will stick to tequila. One day I will find a mezcal that I will think is worth buying a bottle. Thanks for all your recommendations. I will let everyone know when I try more.

MrAgave is offline Administrator

We can't all love the same stuff I guess. If we did there would only be one brand...

Have you tried Scorpion 5 year? It is a little pricey, but that is a little smoother and has less smoky bite. I actually think Los Danzantes is smoother than most Mezcals, but I drink a lot of mezcals. Also try the Del Maguey Crema, it is mezcal mixed with agave nectar, so you get the smoke and sweet all in one.

Tequila Joe is offline TequilaForACause.com

I have not tried Scorpion. I had a Del Maguey before and did not think it was bad. A bartender gave it to me a while ago but I do not know which one it was. He said in stores it went for about $200. The mezcal with agave nectar sounds interesting. I will keep my eyes out for them. Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by MaloMateo
    My new favorite mezcal is Embajador de Oaxaca. The one that I have is aged and I believe that is all they make. It is a bit pricey.
    I also love Don Amado Anejo, which is very affordable and extra smokey.
    Quite agree with Embajador de Oaxaca. It's a very nice Mezcal indeed.

On my most recent visit to Huatulco, Oaxaca (5th time in past 8 years... can't escape the perfect mix of nice Mexican town and stunning beaches) I was drinking Mezcal Beneva Anejo.

That's a very nice mezcal... on one hand it is rather whiskey like, on the other it's a bit rough. However as an Anejo it is very flavourful. All in all, that makes it great for sipping.

I brought home some other mezcals to try...
    - El Senorio Reposado (con gusano); San Jacinto Amilpas, Oax.
    - Joya Gran Reserva Anejo; Tlacolula, Oax. [Aged 10 years in white oak barrels; Only 10,000 litres are produced per year]
    “I’d hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.”<br />- - Hunter S. Thompson

Ilegal Mezcal is now available in the US. Their range smooth and not too smokey so that it overpowers the flavours of the espadin agave. You can find them at Ilegal Mezcal - Welcome to Ilegal Mezcal website

Nice website Ilegal.

My question is how is it possible to have the mezcal available at a bar/restaurant in Seattle when the egress of product into the state is controlled by the state.

I can find no evidence that the product is available in any WA state liquor store and frankly the restaurant in question hardly seems to be the place to debut a new in the state product. They are a sushi bar, mostly.

Interested in the product though if it is in fact available.

Thanks

We are actually in the process of registering Ilegal there and I will let you know as soon as the formalities are completed and through whom it is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    mezcal, is too rough for me, way too strong,but i can appreciate tequila's big brother, i'm not a huge fan of it but it'll it's worth a try every now and then.
    You might try El Zacatecano. It's about the most polite mezcal I've tried. The smoke is very subtle and the overall profile is fairly tequila-like.

Default Best mezcal out of Wahaka

Hey all, big fan of Ilegal here. You'll want the whole lineup in your cabinet. I'm wondering about locating one I came across recently one in San Dionisio. It's called Wahaka and I was told they're exporting to the US, primarily in Texas. Well, I live in Texas and I can't find it anywhere. Has anyone seen this in the US yet?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12