United States B blagave August 06, 2007 17438
Overall rating

Agave Spirit Selection

Food

Price

Knowledge - Service

Ambiance

Date of review: Sunday 8/26/07, 6pm

As I entered La Paz, there was a glass case housing a nice collection of tequilas: Rey Sol and Gran Centenario Extra to name a couple. But I was disappointed to find out that those were just for show and the selection of tequilas available for purchase was much smaller.

I would say that the tequila menu was quite basic: Casa Noble, 1921, Chinaco, Don Julio, Patron... the staples of any tequila bar. What it lacked, however, were any premium tequilas. Where is the Herradura Seleccion Suprema? The Gran Centenario Extra? Rey Sol? Real?

The tequila knowledge was not up to par either. I asked if they had Herradura Seleccion Suprema and when they said yes, I asked the price (as I use that to calibrate pricing for tequila bars). When he said $9, I knew something was up. Turns out that was the price for Herradura Anejo (a good price, btw) but I was disappointed in the confusion that was caused by me ordering a premium tequila.

On the flip side, the menu is incredible. And the food was excellent. My wife had a shrimp taco/cheese enchilada combo and I had the Chili Colorado. It was all very good. So sadly, La Paz goes into the category of a good Mexican restaurant with a larger-than-average tequila menu.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments