97 2 100
Mexico P Piña May 20, 2008 19590
Overall rating

Agave Spirit Selection

Food

Price

Knowledge - Service

Ambiance

I have been to a lot of tequila bars and restaurants in my life but La Tequila was the best. For one thing, it is in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico and that says it all when it comes to tequila. In 2008 on my first trip, Linda and I stopped at the restaurant but it was closed - a Monday, I believe. On the most recent trip, June, 2012 we made reservations for a Wednesday night. When you enter the restaurant there is a glass wall of tequila to greet you. After settling in at our table (4 people) I realized this restaurant belonged in Manhattan. Our waiter was Marlon - he was born in Houston and his mother named him after Marlon Brando. Absolutely the best waiter I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He walked my friend, Philip, and I through the tequila menu. We sampled several brands in flights. Then my eye caught something I had been looking for since last summer - Sotol; and not just Sotol but Bacanora and Raicilla as well. I concocted a flight of these three amazing spirits. They are fantastically different from tequila. The food was amazing and after dinner, Marlon invited our group to the club upstairs. It was New York all the way with music videos in Spanish and English - and a bar with about 300 tequilas. An outdoor patio seemed popular with the locals (who were much better dressed than us) but we did not want to linger too far from the amazing bar. Finally, before we left - Marlon gave us each a menu which is in the form of agave leafs spread out from a single point. The restaurant is not cheap for Mexico but why should it be - it feels like you are in New York. Go if you can.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments