Review Detail

Republic Tequila Reposado
Reposados
Submitted by Tequila.net     August 31, 2009    
Tasted 1/19/12 from Riedel glass.

Medium yellow color. Swirled glass produced small pearls with slow legs. A lot of agave in the nose, with a musty, earthy undertone which made me think of the smell of a penicillin bottle. Middle of glass yielded notes of vanilla and honey, quite pleasant. Thinnish mouth feel, and the initial taste was a bit astringent. That quickly faded to a spicy mix of agave and white pepper. The pepper stayed through the finish, which had a small bit of alcohol contributing to the throat burn, while some sweetness and vanilla lingered on the top-aft portion of my mouth.

On a side note, I remembered the Republic blanco as being on the sweet side and this repo didn't really seem to follow, so I retasted the blanco. Not nearly as sweet as I recalled, and I could easily see how this repo was produced from the same juice. Also, this wasn't the Texas-shaped bottle so my presentation score reflects the tall bottle which to me still looks quite nice.
Overall rating 

Aroma-Nose 

Initial Taste 

Body 

Finish 

Enjoyability 

Price 

Presentation 

Reviewed by det January 19, 2012
Top 100 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (8)

Tasted 1/19/12 from Riedel glass.

Medium yellow color. Swirled glass produced small pearls with slow legs. A lot of agave in the nose, with a musty, earthy undertone which made me think of the smell of a penicillin bottle. Middle of glass yielded notes of vanilla and honey, quite pleasant. Thinnish mouth feel, and the initial taste was a bit astringent. That quickly faded to a spicy mix of agave and white pepper. The pepper stayed through the finish, which had a small bit of alcohol contributing to the throat burn, while some sweetness and vanilla lingered on the top-aft portion of my mouth.

On a side note, I remembered the Republic blanco as being on the sweet side and this repo didn't really seem to follow, so I retasted the blanco. Not nearly as sweet as I recalled, and I could easily see how this repo was produced from the same juice. Also, this wasn't the Texas-shaped bottle so my presentation score reflects the tall bottle which to me still looks quite nice.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account