Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Like many people who grew up in Canada or the US with "cheap tequila shots", I was scared of the Jose Cuervo label after spending time in Mexico and being introduced to finer tequilas. I only tried the Tradicional because, after spending some time with a bartender in Playa Del Carmen, he let me in on a secret; the tequila that he and his friends drink after work is Cuervo Traditional. But there is a catch. He puts a bottle in the freezer at the beginning of his shift and only takes it out at the end of the night to enjoy with his friends after work. The reason is that this tequila transforms when chilled to freezing. As a room-temperature sipper, this tequila is just what other reviewers have stated: a little harsh and more like a gold than a finer reposado. However, when pulled from a freezer after a few hours, it is a completely different story. Served ice cold (not on ice, which dilutes the flavour that is not overly abundant to begin with) it becomes very smooth and devoid of any harsh bite while a nice mellow flavour shows through. I realize that this can be true of many types of alcohol, including other tequilas, but it is more pronounced in the Tradicional. My numeric ratings are based on this specific serving method.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments