Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

OK- I won't start by saying I was disappointed with this. I have been looking forward to this one for a looong time. It won a 2010 best taste award. I had been working up to spending the $110 (plus shipping) it would cost to own one, when I stumbled upon a deal on EBay. ($73 shipped!)

The presentation is first rate: It comes in an all-black box, with a black logo. Lift the top to reveal the beautiful bottle! (It even comes with a wallet sized plastic card, black with black logo - I guess so you can impress someone who knows what the hell it is.) I was surprised to find it had a screw-off cap instead of a cork, but the bottle top weighs a good 6-8 ounces. Very nice.

The initial nose was very smooth, making my mouth water. Goods legs in the glass. Initial taste was also very smooth. Here's where things get muddy: there is a strong oak-char-smoky taste on the pallet. Not bad, just more like an Anejo than a Reposado. Very surprising. Then it finished with a very strong alcohol heat. Not *cough*cough* like a cheap blanco, but still very present. I knocked a point or two off enjoyability for that.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Not sure if I'd spend over $100 for another bottle. Nice to look at on my bar shelf, though!

I rated the price fairly poor due to the relative cost of comparable Reposados. Can't fault the presentation though...
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments