Los Abuelos Tequila Blanco

Hot
T March 11, 2007

93 (8)
34065 0 5 0 13
Los Abuelos Tequila Blanco

Los Abuelos Blanco Tequila

Los Abuelos Blanco Tequila - 100% estate grown "blue" Agave tequilana Weber, distilled and stored in stainless steel tanks. Blanco never touches wood. Our Blanco label contains a drawing of our distillery.

At Tequila LOS ABUELOS, we are committed to producing the finest Tequila possible. Our Tequila is made using traditions established centuries ago, from 100% stone milled agave, entirely produced on our estate. We are located in the town of Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, first populated in the 1530’s by our Spanish forefathers. Our land is nestled in rich valley at 4,000 feet of altitude, in the foothills of the 9,560-foot tall, Volcan de Tequila. Here is where our blue agaves grow for seven to eight years, caressed with the warmth of the Mexican sun, nourished by the summer rains, and protected from the harsh and cold winter winds.

Our Tequila is produced entirely within the walls of our estate, using centuries old, traditional methods, which although are very labor intensive, create a tequila, which is unequaled in taste and smoothness. Using the age-old brick oven, with its meter thick walls, we cook our agave for thirty six hours. Then we crush or mill the agave as my Tartarabuelo did over 135 years ago in the stone mill called the Tahona. The crushed agave is then washed with the pure mountain water from the Volcan de Tequila to separate the pulp from the woody fibers to create an agave juice called mosto The woody fibers of the agave, called bagazo, are removed at this time, and taken to the fields to use as compost. The agave mosto is then naturally fermented for five days in small wood vats, and then double distilled using small, labor-intensive copper pot stills. Our glass bottle is hand-blown in Tonala, Jalisco by artisan glassmakers and our bottle tops, artisan designed to represent the harvest agave, or Pina, are hand-made by our workers.

Editor review

1 review
(Updated: May 20, 2007)
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

This blanco has a medium body, and a truly unique nose full of buttery agave and hints of bread and olive. A minty beginning and smooth agave body containing butter and herbs, turning warm on a medium olive finish and a trace of mint.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 2 0

User reviews

8 reviews

88%

13%
50-70 stars

0%
30-50 stars

0%
1-30 stars

0%
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

93(8)
Initial Taste

92(8)
Body

92(8)
Finish

92(8)
Enjoyability

94(8)
Price

92(8)
Presentation

93(8)
View all user reviews View most helpful
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Had the pleasure of attending a tequila dinner hosted by Guillermo Sauza that included their entire line as well as appropriate food pairings. The first up was the blanco.

Aroma: Light, a bit fruity, but very honest (if I can say that) in terms of bringing forth the agave on the nose.
Initial taste: Sweet with fruit and agave.
Body: Semi-oily and well-rounded for any tequila, especially a blanco. Berry and agave flavors developed to vegetal dryness.
Finish: Grass and agave with mild fruit lingering. Little to no burn.

This blanco may be unsurpassed in its purity. Very satisfying and delicious. Perhaps a tad expensive for what it is though.
J
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 2 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Tasted at home from a white wine flute.

Slightly sweet agave nose. Slightly oily mouthfeel. Decent alcohol burn with grassy, earthy taste. Mild roast agave presence. Incredible finish- smooth but lingering.

I gave it 90 for price only because it's not available in Oregon and I have to schlep it back from Jalisco. It's worth every penny though.
C
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Nose offers mild agave and herbals - quite characteristic of its area of origin, Tequila, Jalisco. Entry is soft and sweet, yielding mild agave, minerals and earthy flavours. Finishes moderately with herbals, spice and a pleasing tingle. I find Fortaleza Blanco very mild from start to finish. It is a well-presented product but fails to make my top 5 list of blancos. Some may feel it lacks body and depth of character.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Tasted out of a snifter 02/02/09. Clear in color, La Fortaleza blanco is in my top two favorite blancos. It's one to be savored. I just love the presentation, as tvJefe put it, it just screams authentic. I like the fact that they do everything the old traditional way including using a Tahona to crush the agave. I hope everyone who loves tequila, at some point tries this one. Aroma: An intense nose of fruit (Id say raspberry) with lighter hints of earth. One of my favorite tequila aromas.Not the most complex nose, but for some reason it works perfectly. Initial Taste: With a semi oily mouth feel, its obviously sweet upon entry with no bitterness. Initial taste was fruit (again, raspberry) Body: An intense body of agave and earth, with lighter tones of fruit and floral. Finish: A nice lightly heated finish of short duration with a fruity lingering aftertaste.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 5 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Fortaleza Blanco (formerly Los Abuelos): Tasted 4/1/08, 8pm at my home in a Riedel. Price paid for the bottle: $45. The presentation screams authentic and traditional. This bottle would be right at home in a 1950s Western movie set in Mexico.

Clear in color, Fortaleza blanco has moderate earthy aromas with subtle floral undertones. There is a moderate to intense agave nose that follows right to the tongue upon initial taste. Soft on the tongue, Fortaleza blanco has a medium oily mouth feel with a subtle sweetness and no bitterness. Intense flavors of agave precede a shorter finish than I would have liked with a slight numbing of alcohol.

Overall, this is a fantastic blanco. Definitely on the earthy side rather than the fruity side for me. A bottle worth adding to your collection.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 3 0
View all user reviews