Los Abuelos Tequila Anejo

Hot
T March 11, 2007

93 (3)
26769 0 5 0 1
Los Abuelos Tequila Anejo

Los Abuelos Anejo Tequila

Los Abuelos Añejo Tequila - 100% estate grown "blue" Agave tequilana Weber, aged in wood oak barrels for 2-3 years. Our Añejo label contains a drawing, which is a view of our estate.

At Tequila LOS ABUELOS, we are committed to producing the finest Tequila possible. Our Tequila is made using traditions established centuries ago, from 100% stone milled agave, entirely produced on our estate. We are located in the town of Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, first populated in the 1530’s by our Spanish forefathers. Our land is nestled in rich valley at 4,000 feet of altitude, in the foothills of the 9,560-foot tall, Volcan de Tequila. Here is where our blue agaves grow for seven to eight years, caressed with the warmth of the Mexican sun, nourished by the summer rains, and protected from the harsh and cold winter winds.

Our Tequila is produced entirely within the walls of our estate, using centuries old, traditional methods, which although are very labor intensive, create a tequila, which is unequaled in taste and smoothness. Using the age-old brick oven, with its meter thick walls, we cook our agave for thirty six hours. Then we crush or mill the agave as my Tartarabuelo did over 135 years ago in the stone mill called the Tahona. The crushed agave is then washed with the pure mountain water from the Volcan de Tequila to separate the pulp from the woody fibers to create an agave juice called mosto The woody fibers of the agave, called bagazo, are removed at this time, and taken to the fields to use as compost. The agave mosto is then naturally fermented for five days in small wood vats, and then double distilled using small, labor-intensive copper pot stills. Our glass bottle is hand-blown in Tonala, Jalisco by artisan glassmakers and our bottle tops, artisan designed to represent the harvest agave, or Pina, are hand-made by our workers.

User reviews

3 reviews
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

93(3)
Initial Taste

93(3)
Body

94(3)
Finish

93(3)
Enjoyability

94(3)
Price

88(3)
Presentation

95(3)
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

This is a very unique anejo. Aged well, but still retains many of the qualities of the very good blanco version from this Fortaleza line.

Aroma: A TON of agave nose along with a soft vanilla scent, floral notes and some fruit.
Initial Taste: Very smooth agave and a buttery hint as well.
Body: The complexities come out nicely. Wood, pepper and caramel notes compliment the strong agave taste. However, the aging keeps it mild and smooth with only a little bit of heat from the alcohol.
Finish: A nice, LONG finish that lingers on and reminds you how good it is. The tongue tingles from the pepper and slight alcohol heat.

This is a really nice tequila. Is it my favorite in the price range...nope. Despite being someone who more often prefers rested tequilas, I actually think that the blanco is the strongest in this line. The bottle is nice, the cork is one of the finest you'll see. But for $60-70, I like the other options out there better. Still, if you have the means you should definitely go out and try this juice.
TT
#1 Reviewer 414 reviews
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

The top of the pyramid from a wonderful line of tequilas.

Aroma: Caramel, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, and oak.
Initial taste: Sweet, with vanilla and agave coming first.
Body: Oily and rich. A bit lighter in color than I expected (not much darker than the reposado).
Finish: Spice, oak, and vanilla finish with a lasting agave fade. No alcohol burn, but a tad on the spicy side.

This tequila pairs beautifully with rich entrees that include red meat or bacon, desserts that complement the vanilla notes, mangos, and smoked peppers.

This anejo is quite extraordinary in its complexity without being overpowered by the flavors of the barrel. Like the rest of their line, I think it is a little expensive for what is offered, but this tequila is made using a time- and cost-intensive process: the traditional way.

I savored every sip and would try it again in a heartbeat. If you love tequila and haven't had this offering yet, you are missing out on a classic.
J
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Tasted out of a double ball glass. A pretty damn good anejo finishes off the Los Abuelos line. What can I say? I'm partial to this line. It's in my top 2. I'd recommend their whole line to new tequila drinkers. Aroma: Caramel, cinnamon, and wood. Initial Taste: An oily mouth feel, it's sweet upon entry with no bitterness. Body: A nice cooked agave body complimented by caramel, spices, and earth. Finish: A heated finish (boo) of short duration-my only complaint. No problem, I'll have another!
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 3 0