Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lime Drop

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Default Lime Drop

I was at the Cruz Tequila website and saw this in their recipe section. I did some modifications and now my wife and I are addicted to them.

Lime Drop
    1 oz. reposado
    1 oz. unsweetened lime juice
    1 teaspoon agave nectar

Shake with ice and pour into 2 shotglasses rimmed with sugar ( I used granular Splenda )
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

Default Re: Lime Drop

That sounds tasty.....

I found some shot glass molds made for ice. You fill them up and freeze them and then you have a shot glass made out of ice. Anyways, that sounds like something tasty to try with them; I'll give it a shot next weekend.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bn087
    That sounds tasty.....

I found some shot glass molds made for ice. You fill them up and freeze them and then you have a shot glass made out of ice. Anyways, that sounds like something tasty to try with them; I'll give it a shot next weekend.
    I've had a set of those for a while... just remember a couple of things
    - ice melts... I know that sounds really 'duh', but it's worth remembering if you put your frozen shot glass down on a table inside... or on a smooth sloping surface (I've seen someones drink 'escape' that way!)
    - temperature differential can crack ice... so be sure your ingredients are cold before pouring them into the ice shot glass... otherwise you pour stuff in, the ice cracks, it leaks onto the kitchen floor... and your wife scowls at you. (Not that I'd know or anything... )
    “I’d hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.”<br />- - Hunter S. Thompson

Haha, I have already made that mistake PR....

When you make the Lime Drop, what do you use for unsweetned lime juice? Just juice from freshly squeezed limes? And have you tried this with Blanco to give it more of a bite...?

Quote Originally Posted by bn087
    Haha, I have already made that mistake PR....

When you make the Lime Drop, what do you use for unsweetned lime juice? Just juice from freshly squeezed limes? And have you tried this with Blanco to give it more of a bite...?
    I use an all natural bottled lime juice, not from concentrate. I'm sure you can use fresh, it should be fine, I don't have a squeezer so I buy bottled. I've never tried it with blanco, it should be fine, different, but fine.

Ok, I just tried this recipe with a blanco and I didn't care for it. It was too bitter and I even cut down the lime juice and upped the agave nectar. It's basically is a more sweetened margarita in a shot glass that definitely tastes better with a repo.

I have been playing with this recipe.....

I made up my own shots because I could not find Unsweetened and unconcentrated lime juice. I could only find Sweetened Lime Juice from Concentrate.....

I made up a delicious shot and once I figure out a cool name a little later on I will post it on another thread...thank you for this gsars, we had a lot of fun playing around with tequilas and making shots similar to the "lime drop"

I forgot to add this a while ago but the recipe also works with lemon juice as well. I also have been using blancos and they are very good as well.

I tweaked it a little:

1.5-2oz. blanco or reposado
    1oz. natural strength lemon or lime juice(fresh is perfect)
    1.5 teaspoons agave nectar

Put all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice, shake vigorously for 20 seconds and pour into 2 sugar-rimmed shot glasses. Enjoy

It sounds like a margarita shot....yum...

Quote Originally Posted by gsars1 View Post
    I use an all natural bottled lime juice, not from concentrate. I'm sure you can use fresh, it should be fine, I don't have a squeezer so I buy bottled. I've never tried it with blanco, it should be fine, different, but fine.
    I know a lot of people who use the bottled juices however, IMHO there is no subsitute for fresh citrus juices when making a special agave cocktail that will stand out among the others! It may be slightly more costly as well as time consuming to squeeze fresh limes, lemons, oranges, grapefruits, tangerines etc. however, it makes all the difference in the world! What I do is frequent small local mom & pop produce stands and storefronts. I ask them to put aside any fresh fruit that is too ripe or blemished to sell. I then buy them at a crazy low price which is very much welcomed by the merchant because they were just going to lose them to spoilage anyway. They all call me the "margarita man" and I usually wind up purchasing other fresh vegetables, etc. as a gesture of good faith and support for the local business merchant. Getting back to the overriped fruit.....I then break out my electric hand juicer and squeeze away! I have at least three or four juicers that I purchased used from local thrift shops for $3.00 to $5.00 apiece. For that money, if one burns out no big deal! I then take all my fresh juice, label and date them, and flash freeze them in sealed quart containers. I've got it all down to a science now so it doesn't take me that much time to do. Besides, it is well worth the extra effort when I hear friends at my tequila bar say "that was the best margarita or paloma or sunrise or mojito I have ever tasted!
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast