Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lime Drop

Quote Originally Posted by totallytequila View Post
    I ask them to put aside any fresh fruit that is too ripe or blemished to sell. I then buy them at a crazy low price which is very much welcomed by the merchant because they were just going to lose them to spoilage anyway. .... I then take all my fresh juice, label and date them, and flash freeze them in sealed quart containers.
    Nice! What a great idea, thanks! I buy limes regularly and more times than not half of them become petrified before I get around to them. Squeezing and freezing them is a gem of an idea....I wonder why I didn't think of that?!?

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

I forgot to mention how easy it is with very little supplies. All you need is 3 cabillitos or tall shot glasses and a 'martini shaker'. Just fill 1 cabillito full with tequila, dump it in with a half cabillito with the lemon or lime juice into the ice filled shaker then add about 3 'glugs' of agave nectar(more or less to taste), shake it up. Then pour into the 2 remaining cabillitos rimmed with the sugar. Yummm
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

sounds like marg shots to me. Thats the basic recipe I use for margs.

I like fresh squeezed better but the quality of limes varies up here so much that it is extremely hit and miss. I have started using a blend of fresh and Nellie and Joes Famous Keywest lime juice for more consistency and its working. I like Key Limes the best but they are almost impossible to get up here.

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Quote Originally Posted by wichie13 View Post

I like fresh squeezed better but the quality of limes varies up here so much that it is extremely hit and miss. I have started using a blend of fresh and Nellie and Joes Famous Keywest lime juice for more consistency and its working. I like Key Limes the best but they are almost impossible to get up here.
    I always use the Nellie and Joe's, and I found they make lemon as well so that's why I updated. It is basically a margarita shot only a little sweeter. It's great if you want a quick shot in between other libations.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

That stuff seems expensive but would really cut down on the labor it takes to squeeze a party pitcher of margaritas. I myself can't seem to find "great" limes...I use Key Limes most of the time but when I don't want to squeeze 50 limes, I go for the larger ones. I end up feeling almost every lime in the display case to pick out the ones I want...
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wichie13 View Post

Hey Wichie, I feel bad for you my fellow tequila brother! Fresh Florida Key Limes are always so readily available down here.....I guess we take it for granted. If you take a few key limes, cut them in quarters and put them out at your bar they will go like hotcakes! The only problem with key limes are they generally run very small. They usually are the sweetest but hardest to squeeze because you need a ton of them to get any quantity of juice. A 1 or 2 lb. bag usually runs around $1.99 apiece. Do you have any Sam's Clubs up north? They are just like those large Costco stores. At Sam's Club I have found their persian or mexican limes to be of very high quality. Price of $3.49 for approx. one dozen....very large and tons of juice in them. Anyway, if you are ever in need of any fresh key limes for a special agave occasion, I would be happy to ship you a few bags! PM me anytime!
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

Thanks TT I may take you up on the offer someday.

More tequila, less lime juice.

I'm definitely at 2oz of my reposado, but probably only 1/2-3/4oz of lime juice. I like the Nellie and Joe's as well...very tart. And probably only 1tsp of agave nectar.

Another alternative is Rose's Sweetened Concentrated Lime Juice. It is clear (no pulp whatsoever) and syrupy, but also very tart. You only need about 1tbsp. You can find it amongst the mixers at the grocery store in a clear glass bottle.

Even just agave nectar is good with something like Casa Noble Reposado to bring out the vanilla and caramel tones.

Also, no shaker for me. I just use a spoon or swirl it around a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12