Thread: Tequila Jello Shots

Default Tequila Jello Shots

I've been asked today if I like Jello shots. They are fun for parties, gatherings, or when your just looking for something different. So today, I set out to make the ultimate Jell-O shots using tequila instead of the traditional vodka or gin.

My Recipe:
    2 Cups of Blanco Tequila (I used JC Platino because its on sale right now for 30.00 a bottle, so why not?)
    1/2 Cup of Water
    2 Packages of Lime Jello

Boil the tequila and water together, add 2 packages of Lime Jell-O and stir until dissolved. Immediately transfer into a 8x8 glass dish or 11x9. Allow to sit in fridge for 3 hours. Take glass dish out and set in warm water for 15 seconds (to loosen it up from sticking). Cut jello into squares, fish out with a spoon and set on a plate.

I know these are not for everyone. But in my age group they are fun.

If you want to get more creative...try this idea.

You will need about 25-35 disposable shot glasses or small plastic cups (2-3oz).

1 Package of Lime Jello
    1 Package of Orange Jello
    1 Package of Lemon Jello
    3 Cups of tequila
    1 Cup of Water

Make each jello seperately (1/3 Cup of Water, 1 Cup of Tequila). After your first batch, which should be the Orange or Lemon Jello. Fill the disposable shot glasses 1/3 full of jello. Next let the shots chill for about an hour in the fridge. Then make the second batch which needs to be the Lime Jello (the color combination is better with green in between).

When making the second batch of Jello, you will need to chill it for 10-15 minutes in the fridge before putting on the second layer. Otherwise, if you pour the boiling hot second layer on the first, it will melt/blend together. Now if you followed correctly, you will have a layer of orange or lemon jello, then a layer of lime jello. Third layer... just follow the same idea as the second layer.

Now you have a colorful layered shot. Al the fruits are citrusy so they blend well with tequila. To get the shots out, either stick a finger in and pull it all out at once, or bend the plastic cup/shot glass until it breaks and suck the jello out of the side.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Boiling Tequila, wouldn't that disolve the alcohol? I thought you add the alcohol after you boiled the water?
    Quien quiere un tequilaso....

blagave is offline Agave Aficionados

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Boiling Tequila, wouldn't that dissolve the alcohol? I thought you add the alcohol after you boiled the water?
    I too am a bit confused why you would put the alcohol in during the boiling process. Here is what the USDA says about loss of alcohol content:

Alcohol added to boiling liquid, Evaporation 85% Retention 15%

Alcohol flamed Evaporation 70% Retention 30%

I am guessing that the guests got more of a sugar buzz than anything else
    Last edited by blagave; February 2nd, 2009 at 03:01 PM.

I thought so, because I remember back in my college days using everclear or absinthe and that stuff is like lighter fluid and let me tell you putting that anywhere near an open flame, your'e talking some burnt eyebrows my friend

blagave is offline Agave Aficionados

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    I thought so, because I remember back in my college days using everclear or absinthe and that stuff is like lighter fluid and let me tell you putting that anywhere near an open flame, your'e talking some burnt eyebrows my friend
    Oh yes.....the days of everclear and Kool aid. Brings back memories of cat bowling down the dorm hallway at UNLV
    Disclaimer: no animals were ever hurt....just brain cells.

ROFL... those where the good ole' days

I couldnt tell how much alcohol was in the tequila lime jello shots...but the tequila was premium and you could just taste agave and lime.

I did use cheap vodka for Strawberry Jello Shots and you could feel the burn.

I wouldnt boil the liquor forever. But on a stove top, medium heat until small bubbles start to form and you are fine. You taste the alcohol better if you dont dillute the jello with much water...I may have lost some of the alcohol content when creating the shots but it was still present.

When you are warming liquor on the stove top, use a lid and dont put it on high. All you need is "hot" for jello to dissolve. And alcohol seems to make the jello dissolve more so dont go overboard. On medium heat and only 2 cups of liquor and a half cup of water, you will be "hot" in about 3 minutes. If you boil long, your kitchen will smell like a still.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Here's a version I had gotten for sugar-free jello shots. The recipe actually says to put the alcohol in the freezer ahead of time. I haven't made them yet. Also, perhaps because it is sugar free, the jello dissolves easier. The replies from 3 people that tried it, said they were great.

Super Jello Shots

Description:
    Ingredients: 1 package or sugar free jello any flavor

2 Cups boiling water
    2 Cups alcohol your choice

How To Prepare: To make Fancy Jello Shots, put the alcohol in the freezer ahead of time to let it get nice and cold. Make the jello as directed on the package using the boiling water, etc. Substitute the chilled alcohol for the cold water in the recipe. Use different
    flavors and alcohols to create drinks with the jello-shots. Lime jello & tequila(Margarita), orange jello and vodka(Screwdriver), strawberry jello and rum(Daquiri),etc...Hint use 2oz. plastic souffle cups to make the jello shots in(available at any party
    store cheap). They work best. For easier serving place them on a tray in the fridge. Bring out when ready to serve.

Number of Servings: 10

Edit: After doing a little research, I think the recipe is supposed to have 2 packages of jello for the 2 cups each of alcohol and water. Ok, I think I figured it out, the original recipe calls for a 6oz. package. If using a 3oz. package then just use 1 cup of each.
    Last edited by gsars1; February 5th, 2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!