Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any cigar fans out there?

Default Any cigar fans out there?

I just received a cigar magazine in the mail (I dont know why, probably signed up for something). I have never been a cigar person, but I've never smoked a quality cigar. I think I tryed to light up a flavored Swisher a long time ago and was disgusted. After taking a peak at all the different varities out,something must be good. Especially since some of the boxes of 10 cigars cost up to 300 bucks. I smoke cigarettes and have for about 5 years. I dont really like them, I just do it. I love a good cigg and a riedel half full of some quality anejo after dinner. But are any of you guys cigar fans. I've heard of people chewing them, smoking them, just puffing without inhaling...etc. None of these methods worked with the cheap 1.00 cigar I purchased a long time ago but I thought yall may have some ideas. We have a humidor down the street and I suppose I wouldnt mind whopping out 5 or 10 bucks on a single cigar just to see how it goes. I dont know what the different wraps and everything really mean nor the fill inside them but I would want something generally sweet, mild and enjoyable. Let me know if you have any ideas. I thought it'd be a unique hobby to pick up as well....trying out a new cigar every so often. The humidor down the street is quite a large store, they probably have quite a bit so let me know some brands or if you think you may know of the type of cigar to go too.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Default Re: Any cigar fans out there?

Yes, I like a good cigar every once in a while. I prefer Dominican with a Connecticut wrapper. Go to JRCigars.com and click on the JR university and then on cigar school. It'll help with all the lingo so you can go to the cigar store with some knowledge. I always buy from them as well, their prices can't be beat and the selection is emormous. If you need any other info, just ask.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

Im torn between the different wraps on cigars. I want something sweet and mellow but that looks like a dark rich cigar, which I read would be very bold. I went and took a look and saw some big, small, skinny, fat...etc. But the dark wrapped cigars looked good. So I chose a pack of 2 and they were disgusting. I threw them out and dont even care to remember the name. They were 2 for 5 bucks in a little pack. Oh well, I guess its like wine, you just gotta try everything before you find what you may love.

If you're a cigarette smoker, you might want to try a small skinny cigar. One of my favorites and my first cigar are the Macanudo Ascots. They come 10 to a tin and are about 4.5 inches long, with a light brown wrapper, and a very mild taste. Some stores sell them individually so you won't have to invest in 10. Just snip the end off and enjoy, just make sure you don't inhale!!

I'll give those a try, I've smoked a pack a day for years so it'd be nice to switch it up. I cant stand Black and Milds or those cheap flavored cigars but at least a black and mild is tolerable because it is pipe tobacco. I'll try and remember that name. I like the idea of smoking a fat cigar....I thought it "looks cool" at least. But today I'll run by the humidor on my way to work and see what I can find. Let me know of some other brands as I may only have 10-15 bucks at most to spend on a cigar or pack of cigars. Thanks so much for your input as well gsars. Salud!

So I purchased 6 cigars 2 days ago.

La Fontana
    Oliveros Flavor (Honey Sweet)
    Arturo Fuente
    Nu by Cojimar SunStar (Orange with Tequila Liqueur)
    Nu by Cojimar Dolcebanana (Banana with Passion Fruit)
    Cojimar Peach

So far I liked the Arturo Fuente and Oliveros Honey Sweet....I was not a big fan of the La Fontana but thats alright. I'm going to try a Cojimar today.

I know a couple of years ago Sauza teamed up witha cigar manufacturer and released a tequila soaked cigar. I don't think it's still available. I did try it, but for about $10, I didn't think it was worth it.

As for your selection, I see that you like the flavored ones. I don't care for them, but my neighbor loves Acid cigars, they're flavored as well. I have had Arturo Fuente and didn't care for them, they were too strong for me. But then again I quit smoking cigarettes 8 years ago, so I do prefer mild when I do have one.

I went with flavored on the ladies recommendation at the humidor (yes a lady owns and runs the company and smokes each cigar she orders to make sure its acceptable). She said if I wasnt too sure the type of cigar I wanted then to go with a flavor I would like. I did think the A. Fuente was a bit strong. I am learning the darker cigars are more robust....a lot like coffee; the blacker they are the more rich and bold the flavor. The La Fontana was excellent in the beginning but lost its touch about halfway through the cigar and I wasnt impressed anymore. As for the Cojimar's...I am going to try one today. I have a 5" 30 ring guage and 2 of the new blends which are called Cojimor NU and one is Orange w/ tequila liqueur! The cheapest cigar I purchased was probably the A. Fuente which I think was 2.75. The La Fontana was 4.95, and Oliveros Flavored was 4.00. I bought a variety pack of Cojimars consisting of 3 different flavors for 8.00.

Next on the list is Punch and Cohiba. I understand Cohiba makes a wonderful cigar and I'd really like to try the Cohiba XV which is about a 15.00 cigar. I also would like to try a Don Carlos GOD OF FIRE, which is 10 for 240.00...thats a bit out of budget right now though. I've had a Rum Runner before and some cheapo cigars like Phillie, Swisher, Optimo...etc. I am still trying to figure out the type of cigar I like. I dont really like the short and fat styled cigars but I havent tried a decent one yet. I do like the longer and skinnier styled cigars which I think are "Corona" style or "Lonsdale" (I dont know my styles yet so I'm really just guessing). I also understand Gurkha and Rocky Patel make good cigars, I've also heard decent things about Romeo y Julieta.

Two of those $15 Cohiba XV's would also get you that $30 bottle of tequila. I'd spring for the latter!

Your very correct. I dont see myself spending as much on 2 cigars as I would on a bottle of tequila. But if I stick the the Cojimars I purchased, I should be fine. I saved the Orange Tequila Cigar for a special occasion. Hopefully next weekend I will be trying a new tequila and I've got a few in mind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast