Thread: Grand Marnier

Default Grand Marnier

Hi guys

I'm new to this forum, and indeed to Tequila in general (until about 2 months ago I was still suffering Cuervo Especial, then I managed to open my eyes a bit with the aid of one Don Julio and his fantastic anejo).

Anyway, I discovered that I quite like a 1:4 ratio of GM to tequila, although I almost like GM on it's own - except I find it just a little bit too sweet. So, being as GM is a cognac based liqeur, would mixing GM with some cognac bring it into a drier sort of realm, or is that a bad idea?

What are your thoughts on the best way to enjoy GM (other than with tequila)?

Cheers

I've always just liked it on the rocks or neat. Sometimes its too sweet and I've never thought of mixing in some Cognac to it. Try it and let us know. I have the grandma just no cognac otherwise there'd be a glass in front of me right now to go with these Anejo Truffles i just whipped up. One batch has orange in it so that GM would go GREAT.

Can't justify splashing on a bottle of good C at the mo, but I have found that some Galliano goes a good way towards taming the GM's spice a little (in fact, it's more like GM adds the something missing from Galliano - I highly reccomend 1:3 of GM:Galliano as an aperitif), although it's still very sweet.

I need an excuse for someone to buy me a good bottle of C :P

Quote Originally Posted by AxeSlash View Post
    Hi guys

I'm new to this forum, and indeed to Tequila in general (until about 2 months ago I was still suffering Cuervo Especial, then I managed to open my eyes a bit with the aid of one Don Julio and his fantastic anejo).

Anyway, I discovered that I quite like a 1:4 ratio of GM to tequila, although I almost like GM on it's own - except I find it just a little bit too sweet. So, being as GM is a cognac based liqeur, would mixing GM with some cognac bring it into a drier sort of realm, or is that a bad idea?

What are your thoughts on the best way to enjoy GM (other than with tequila)?

Cheers
    Its actually a fairly old drink. Its called a French Connection, or in some cases called a Beautiful
    served usually in equal parts and your choice to drink it straight up or on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenPASION View Post
    Its actually a fairly old drink. Its called a French Connection, or in some cases called a Beautiful
    served usually in equal parts and your choice to drink it straight up or on the rocks
    Do you mean Cognac + GM or Tequila + GM?

Also, I did the cognac + GM thing tonight, it works very well, although - as with tequila - I tend to prefer a much higher quantity of cognac to the GM so it retains that warming, powerful quality that liqueurs just don't seem to have.

I can highly reccomend it - I find cognac on it's own a little too dry and woody, but the addition of a drop of GM evens it out VERY nicely. It does, however, seem to get me inebriated *considerably* quicker than almost any other concoction of spirits and/or liqueurs...

Quote Originally Posted by AxeSlash View Post
    Do you mean Cognac + GM or Tequila + GM?

Also, I did the cognac + GM thing tonight, it works very well, although - as with tequila - I tend to prefer a much higher quantity of cognac to the GM so it retains that warming, powerful quality that liqueurs just don't seem to have.

I can highly reccomend it - I find cognac on it's own a little too dry and woody, but the addition of a drop of GM evens it out VERY nicely. It does, however, seem to get me inebriated *considerably* quicker than almost any other concoction of spirits and/or liqueurs...
    cognac + grandma is a french connection

Default Grand Martini

Personally, I don't like mixing GM but a nice Martini inothing more than your favorite vodka (Belverdere or the more costly Stoli Elite which is excellent) and a splash, nothing more than a splash or the drink is too sweet, of GM. Trust me, it's a damn good drink!