Thread: Scotch

blagave is offline Agave Aficionados

Default Scotch

I just went to my first formal Scotch tasting event and had a great time. There is a group of us going to Scotland next year to play golf, so we thought we would get brought up to speed on the Spirit of Scotland.
    The presentation was very educational and the 10 different tastings were ridiculous in how different they were....some were so smokey you smelt like a camp fire after drinking it. Personally, I think tequila is way more complex above Scotch in it's aromas, flavor and taste.
    I travel a lot and always try and drink the local brew and also search out for some good old tequila.

Any Scotch / Tequila drinkers out there? What is your preference?

I know tequila considerably more than I know scotch, but that's not sayin' much.
    Nevertheless, I do find good tequila to be more complex, pleasant and flavorful than I do scotch.

when i drink straight liquor scotch is my second in line... not a close second by any means, but if the bar im at doesnt have respectable tequilas Ill swing for a single malt. Oban being one of my favorites.

Vancouver WA Scottsdale Az in the winters

I think tequila is way more complex above Scotch in it's aromas, flavor and taste.

Any Scotch / Tequila drinkers out there? What is your preference?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the scotch, some are very complex. If you ever get a chance to taste some of the finer Port Ellen Bottlings you might change your mind.Port Ellen is one of the great lost distilleries of Scotland.

i usually drink tequila but i also enjoy Yamazaki japanese single malt whisky.

I like scotch as well. I like low land single malts, but some highland ones are nice too. Islays are too smokey for me.

Auchentoshan is my favorite line. Balvenie is probably close second. Glenkinchie is very good as well. AncNoc is good too.

blagave is offline Agave Aficionados

Went to Scotland and played golf last year and did the Scotch tasting thing in Edinburgh, which was great, except for the "Scotch Barrel" ride.

I too preferred the lowlands Scotch over the the Highlands. Unfortunately, Scotch is like tequila, where there are hundreds of brands and types and without knowing the good ones, you can spend a lot of money trying some real stinkers.

I am still a hard core tequila drinker, but it nice to learn and try new liquors.

I prefer Scotch to Tequila usually. I can't get enough of smoky Islays.

Quote Originally Posted by blagave View Post
    Went to Scotland and played golf last year and did the Scotch tasting thing in Edinburgh, which was great, except for the "Scotch Barrel" ride.

I too preferred the lowlands Scotch over the the Highlands. Unfortunately, Scotch is like tequila, where there are hundreds of brands and types and without knowing the good ones, you can spend a lot of money trying some real stinkers.

I am still a hard core tequila drinker, but it nice to learn and try new liquors.
    So...Many...Scotches...

I like to keep trying, but if I'm going to drop $30-60 on a bottle, I'll probably do tequila 9 times out of 10. I've found some great Scotches, but for the money, I just prefer to sip the agave...