Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Del Maguey Crema de Mezcal

Default Del Maguey Crema de Mezcal

I went searching for my bottle I wanted for New Years Eve. It was a toss up between Penca Azul Blanco and 1921 Reserva Especial...I was holding both bottles and I looked at the corner of the bottom shelf and saw Del Maguey Crema de Mezcal. I did not know the store carried Del Maguey and when I asked they said they didnt know anything about it and only had the Crema De Mezcal under Del Maguey in the inventory list. So I decided I had to try this, Del Maguey has been talked about on here forever and I've never tried a decent Mezcal.

The store had it listed at 52.99...only 5.00 less than Penca Azul Blanco. I decided this was the one. Tonight I opened it up for just a treat before New Years Eve (more because I couldnt resist the temptation)....

It was barely drinkable. I will take notes later but all I could taste was a disgusting chemical. I took in the smoke notes I smelled in the aromas and could distinguish that the spirit had potential. But the burn and HORRIBLE after taste and syrupy sweetness had me pondering if this was worthy of wasting a lime on to make a margarita...

I let the cork sit out for 30 minutes to air dry...it was rubber. I smelled the cork and smelled my Del Maguey bottle and quickly realized that it was very similar. Could the cork have ruined this Mezcal that was sitting on the shelf for who knows how long? Maybe the cork just had a similar smell left from the Mezcal but this was horrible. And now my New Years drink is wasted on this. I'm truely disapointed!

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Default Re: Del Maguey Crema de Mezcal

I had another round of Del Maguey Crema De Mezcal.

It was abosolutely horrible still.

I know I havent tried a "quality" mezcal before this but I've had mixtos that taste better. Honestly, I'm trying to be open minded but I feel like calling the liquor store tomorrow and expaining the problem I'm having. Luckily I'm in there every week at least once or twice...I'm not expecting a refund and I wont get one but at least pull the bottles from the shelf!

Aromas = Smoke, Rubber, Chemical Burn!

Taste = Disgusting, I couldnt leave it in my mouth long enough to grasp any flavors at all.

A friend of mine picked up Penca Azul Blanco (same one that brought me the Casta Worm Repo)...he didnt give me the bottle but we had many drinks and took notes. The Penca Azul cost 5.00 more and tasted like a dream come true.

I dont know if I had a bad bottle or if quality mezcal is not my style, but I refuse to drink this Del Maguey Crema De Mezcal on New Years eve. I am still in shock! I was expecting greatness and I even brought friends over to try a sample. Some wouldnt even taste after smelling!

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

A few things....

1. Shoulda went with the Penca for a special occation

2. if you are not a mezcal drinker don't start with a mezcal for a special occation, unless you are a hardcore scotch drinker who likes tequila.

3.The crema is the weakest product in the line IMHO, but still drinkable.

4.DM has been using synthetic corks for a while now and I think they are some of the best.

Knowing you have just had a recent addition and money can be tight at this time if it doesn't improve for you on a second tasting I would take it back and try and get your money back and get the penca.

Maybe give Mezcal another try later down the road....

As a side note the first time I tasted Mezcal let alone DM was at a tasting run by Ron Copper him self and two of the distillery owners. We tasted the whole line and at that time I did not like one of them at all. Now I have three DM bottles and about six different Mezcals in total. It grows on you, but not really anything like tequila as you would think it would. Even the cooked agave tastes totally different. Cooked agave for mezcal tastes like sweet beef jerky.

Nice buzz though.... 

Is the entire Del Maguey line syrupy like the Del Maguey Crema De Mezcal?

Maybe I shouldnt have tried something new for a special occasion but I didnt think that way in the liquor store.

I'm ok though! Its not the end of the world, just a learning experience!

HAHAHA

Someone told me that it tasted like "old beef jerky"

...I know you mentioned sweet beef jerky, but it still falls in the category...

The crema is mezcal mixed with agave nectar, so no I don't find the rest of the line to be syrupy... the crema is marketed for women.

"For Women Only... and... A Few Strong Men "

Quote Originally Posted by bn087
    Is the entire Del Maguey line syrupy like the Del Maguey Crema De Mezcal?

MrAgave is offline Administrator

I doubt I would've liked Mezcal when I was 21 Bradley, try it over ice, let it sit for a few and dilute a bit with the melted ice and see what you think. When it comes to flavor and aromas, Mezcal is like a slap across the face compared to a Tequila tap on the back. And I didn't like getting slapped in the face until I was around 34.

Marketed for Women, and a few strong men...

I wasnt strong enough Darrin. Tequila and Sotol are the way to go for me.

Will this at least make an interesting cocktail? I was so surprised by the taste I was worried I wouldnt even like it in a margarita...

Some people I know talk highly of "floating" a bit in a marg for an added kick. I myself find that the smoke overpowers the drink so I tend to drinking mine staight. Haven't had a cocktail yet that was good with it. Theres some in the mezcal section to try.....

Quote Originally Posted by bn087

Will this at least make an interesting cocktail? I was so surprised by the taste I was worried I wouldnt even like it in a margarita...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast