Maracame Tequila Anejo

Hot
T July 18, 2007

97 (2)
53085 0 1 0 5
Maracame Tequila Anejo

Maracame Anejo Tequila

Maracame Anejo Tequila, beautiful amber color and full of flavor, this Anejo Tequila is double distilled and aged for 18 months in American white oak barrels.

Each Maracame bottle displays a delicate work of art from Huichol artisans, proudly representing one of the most colorful cultures in Mexico.

User reviews

2 reviews
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

98(2)
Initial Taste

99(2)
Body

97(2)
Finish

97(2)
Enjoyability

97(2)
Price

95(2)
Presentation

98(2)
Maracame Anejo Tequila
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Why - to the best of my knowledge - is this tequila not available in the U.S? I bought my body in the Duty Free Shop at the Mexico City Airport. Maybe this is the first of a growing number of tequilas that are only going to be sold in Duty Free locations? What a shame! It cost me $90 and I felt lucky to get it at all.
In a Riedel glass the color is medium toasty - perhaps creme soda would be an equally descriptive term. The nose is very complex having both vanilla and agave in the odor - so - both sweet and organic. Since it is aged in white oak barrels there is only a slight woody taste at the beginning. It does build over a double shot tasting, however. Initial burn is slight and dissipates completely in subsequent sips. Body is not bold but complex with no single element overpowering another. I could detect caramel, agave, vanilla, lightly toasted nuts and a hint of honey. Still, for a highlands tequila there was a bit more bite than I had expected.
Extremely enjoyable tasting experience and each bottle comes in a colorful box with a unique beaded Huichol Indian emblem hung around the neck of the bottle. I would rate the presentation very high, therefore. One little negative note was that the liquid definitely had a small amount of residue which settled on the bottom after pouring. It did not appear to be coming from the cork stopper.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Maracame Anejo is wonderful for the its unique flavours and the lightness on the palate. Aroma is clear and inviting with hints of brown sugar and vanilla. Initially it comes across as light and smooth and then the flavour grows releasing touches of wood and cinnamon. For some this may not be desireable but I found this unique taste is what made this tequila memorable long after swallowing. It is not like many other Anejos in that it is not tremendously robust relying, rather, on a depth of flavours. This is an easy to drink Tequila reminiscent of fine cognacs or calvados. The package is quite elegant as well. The bottle is boxed and wrapped in a tissue. Inside the box is a highly colourful booklet filled with images that tells the story of Maracame Tequila and some history of the Huichol People ('Maracame' being their ancient wizard or shaman).
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 4 0