Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hear of this? Miel de Maguey

Default Anyone hear of this? Miel de Maguey

I was in Juarez, Mexico a few weeks ago and bought this bottle, Miel de Maguey. It says Destilado de agave below the brand name.

The salesman gave me a sample and it tasted great. I was a little suspicious thinking he had me sample a good tequila and then sold me an inferior one. Out of curiosity I bought the bottle.

[img width=500 height=375]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/crash_override1/DSC03789.jpg[/img]

Anyone hear of this brand? I'm thinking its a mixto.

I'm a newbie to good tequila.

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Default Re: Anyone hear of this? Miel de Maguey

Does it have that smokey flavor that most Mezcals have or is more like a tequila? I've never seen that brand, and I would imagine they would put 100% Agave on their bottle as well if it is not a mixto.

How much was it?

I paid $25 for the bottle. It smells like tequila. It has a nice citrus smell but taste kinda harsh. Sorry for the incomplete description, I'm a newb when it comes to tequila.

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Well essentially you are sampling a spirit that is produced the same way as Tequila, but is made outside of the "Tequila Region". There will be more information on the back label, distillery, possibly a web site?

I have sampled a few "Destilado de Agave" products in Mexico, the taste and quality varied quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by crashoverride
    I was in Juarez, Mexico a few weeks ago and bought this bottle, Miel de Maguey. It says Destilado de agave below the brand name.

The salesman gave me a sample and it tasted great. I was a little suspicious thinking he had me sample a good tequila and then sold me an inferior one. Out of curiosity I bought the bottle.

[img width=500 height=375]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/crash_override1/DSC03789.jpg[/img]

Anyone hear of this brand? I'm thinking its a mixto.

I'm a newbie to good tequila.
    We bought the same thing @ Licores de Chihuahua in Juarez. Got the free sample & the whole story. It's made in Michoacan & legally can not be called tequila. On the bottle it's called " Distillation de Agave." No mixto. $15.00 a bottle. 32% alcohol.

If this is the place across from the Juarez Mercado, or the "Market", he has allot of these types of (tequilas). I go in there quite often and he's got allot of things that I've never seen or heard of.

It looks like he's starting to carry some real tequilas now but it's funny because he always wants to give you samples and always says they are only available in Mexico and not exported.

"Best tequila in Mexico, you can't buy them in the U.S."

Yeah that's the place I bought it at, next to the 'market'.

I hope I'm not drinking methanol. I was set to buy Cazadores but he asked me to sample the Maguey.

Same place for me too. The "try before you buy" people. They also have another "Destilado de Agave" for $30. I now only buy Controy in border towns. The best tequila deals in the El Paso/Juarez area are @ Ueta's, the duty free store.

Yes, the duty free store has good prices but limited selection, the best kept secret is that they do have all the 1921 tequilas, 1921 Reserva Especial - $30, (don't tell anyone).

There's one very good store in Juarez called Astros 10 at 3936 Blvd. Gomez Morin (it's on the maps) very nice people, good selection, fair prices.

Another liquor store called Maya, it's on Ave. of the Americas but I don't have the exact location and haven't submitted it to the forum yet.

Wow, its 64.00 here in Waco at Dicortes to get 1921 Reserva Especial. Thats quite the deal, thanks and your secret is safe with me and all the other members on the forum i'm sure ;-)
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast