Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Tequila go bad?

Default Re: Can Tequila go bad?

that's an even better deal ,than what i got'em, i got those for 100, a piece i bought two, but one was basically stolen from me by my little brother in law, not to mention others.... dang, it's bringing back bad memories.....
    Quien quiere un tequilaso....

"Can Tequila go bad?"

I'm resurrecting this topic. It's something that people ask me all the time and I never had a solid answer until now.

Here is what I found on the Ian Chadwick site "In Search of the Blue Agave"

"Remember that when you open a bottle of tequila, even for a single sip, you subject its contents to oxidization, just as you would a bottle of wine. This can rob the tequila of its agave flavours in a matter of a few weeks to a month. Tequila doesn't last indefinitely. You have to drink it soon - usually within 1-3 months - otherwise it starts to lose its zest.

Light and heat are also working against you. Bottles stored in the light or warmth will lose more alcohol and change their taste faster than those stored in a cool, dark place.

How much will a tequila lose? That depends on both the conditions and your expectations. In my experience, change of flavour can be noticed three months after opening a bottle, and is more pronounced at six months. While I have not measured the alcohol content in my opened bottles, there is a noticeable loss of that alcohol sharpness is some older bottles, suggesting evaporation has reduced the alcohol content."

MrAgave is offline Administrator

If that is really true (1 to 3 months), most everything you drink at a bar is going to be sub par tequila. Think about it, some of those bottles are sitting there for months, and even years. Especially anything you are paying over $25 per shot for.

I have some bottles that were cracked years ago and still taste excellent. It would be fun to test this to confirm, by taking two bottles, same brand and same lot, and open one, then go back and taste them head to head every 3 months or so to confirm. Better yet, taste them blind as your mind will already be breaking down the opened bottle.

blagave is offline Agave Aficionados

Has anyone ever heard of Vodaka, Gin, Scotch or any other liquor going bad after three months...I haven't.
    I too have several bottles of tequila that have been open for several years and the tequila taste the same to me rather it be my own or purchase from a bar or resturant.

It's a good question. I had always assumed that they never really went "bad". It would make sense that the quality might change... but I would have guessed in the neighborhood of 3-5 years.

Tequila Joe is offline TequilaForACause.com

From my experience, I have had bottle's for more than a year open. They are still good but some of the subtle flavors have dewindled. One example was with my first bottle of HSS (the good stuff not the new stuff). I had this bottle open for about a year and a half. When I frist openned the bottle, I got a hint of butterscotch but after a year the butterscotch was gone. Was it still a good tequila...hell yeah. With that said, I have tasted tequila that has in my opinion gone bad. When I said gone bad, all the flavor has gone from the tequila and it is extremely watery. So my guess is what they are mostly getting at on the other forum is that it is best before 1-3 months and starts to lose some of its essense after that period. At least that is my interpretation and 2 cents.

So I guess things could be summed up as...

- yes Tequila can/does lose flavour after opening;
    - Cooling Tequila can/does alter the flavour.

Therefore, putting open bottles into the freezer might prevent loss of flavour, it could well change the flavour in the process (without even getting into what the whole in/out/in/out is doing to the Tequila).

I think that this for me settles it and I'm going to get one of those 'air evacuation kits' normally used to preserve wine and will test it on some Tequila. True, the bottles won't have the pretty corks on them, but I'd rather maintain the flavour as much as possible.
    “I’d hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.”<br />- - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12