Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MilesDavis

Thread: Casa Noble 8-Year Extra Anejo problem ... anyone else?

Default Casa Noble 8-Year Extra Anejo problem ... anyone else?

So I know this isn't a well-used forum anymore, unfortunately. But for the heck of it:

Purchased from DrinkUpNY in Nov. 2011.

I poured the last glass of my CN 8-year a couple of weekends ago and it was completely off. It was way too dark and very cloudy. It didn't look, smell or taste correct at all.
    I last had it probably exactly a year ago and it was fine. So "something" happened to it in the past year. It's kept in the same place with all my other CN tequilas and so far all the rest all fine, including some bottles that were purchased years before the 8-year was released.
    Just throwing possibilities out there:
    Evaporation: though my other ceramic CNs are doing fine, even bottles older than the 8-year.
    Infection: is that possible with 40% spirits? But if something, somehow, got introduced into the bottle after I opened it last year, maybe.
    Black coloring of ceramic leeched: again, if this even possible?

So if anyone else has an 8-year and pours a bit, let me know if it's off at all.
    If everyone else's is good, then I need to figure out what the deal is so I can protect the rest of my collection.

Funny you should bring this up as I had the same thing happen recently to the rest of a similar single barrel release. It was a 7 year from Park Ave Liquors purchased in 09 I think.

Same issue, dark and cloudy, nose and taste were off. I poured the rest out though it was only a few ounces. I opened the remaining bottle and it is still good. It was tasted just a few weeks ago.

Personally I think it is a cork and oxidation issue. Even though the CN corks are waxed to help with any rot or sealing issues, all corks don't fit all bottles as the bottles are hand made. I started sealing all the CN bottles, open and unopened with Parafilm to help with this issue and removed the tequila from bottles that had less than 6 ounces and repackaged in Boston mini glass bottles. Good so far.

I have a bottle of the 8 year, still unopened. Hope it is good when I do open it.

Thanks for the response. One of the first things I did was check the seven year. And it was fine. I also checked the old black and gold Blended 5 year extra Anejo and that's fine. The 6 year aged in Hennesey XO barrels from Astor is fine. The last one I need to check is the 6 year from DrinkUpNY.
    The main thing all these have in common is that they have more than a few ounces left in them. Unlike the 8 year which probably had about 3-4 oz.
    I'm wondering too if the corks are drying out. Especially since I live in Denver where humidity is almost never over 40%

Btw, I also contacted Jose Hemosillo and he was gracious enough to reply quickly. As suspected, without seeing it, he couldn't say what the cause was. Though evaporation was one of his guesses.

Opened my 6-Year EA also from DrinkUpNY, forgot what year I bought it. It's fine

Quick follow-up. I opened my old 5-year blended extra anejo and finished off the last 4 oz or so, and that had started to do the same thing. It lost its clairity, it didn't smell or taste right. And this was after it tasted fine in July. Unless somehow the top layer of tequila was good, but not on the bottom? Don;t know, I didn't make an effort to swirl it in the bottle. Or it started to turn that quickly.
    I haven't seen or heard anything specific, but for now I'm going with the corks drying out, especially when I'm towards the end of the bottle, allowing air to get in there and oxidizing what's left.
    I think I will have to start plastic wrapping the tops of my corked bottles, especially if the bottle is ceramic.

Ethanol is very hygroscopic. Chances are that it absorbed a fair bit of moisture from the atmosphere. Enough to drop the ABV and allow either some sort of infection (not terribly likely), or just enough water to mess with the flavor and allow for some oxidation and staleness.
    jasonrm72 likes this.