Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBear

Thread: Don Julio Anejo vs Casa Noble Anejo

Question Don Julio Anejo vs Casa Noble Anejo

which one do you prefer? i have the former, and begin to enjoy it a lot... reading reviews linked me to the latter, with great hopes. also, is there anything good in the price range i should not miss? i am willing to go up to $70 per bottle, if it is worthed... for sure i will invest!

I would take Casa Noble over Don Julio any day of the week. But Casa Noble is in my top 3. Along with Fortaleza and El Tesoro.

I have purchased multiple bottles of DJ Anejo over the years. Originally I liked it quite a bit but I found each bottle to be less and less enjoyable. I find DJ to be a bit harsh with an unpleasant alcohol burn. The agave gets lost in the woodiness and burn. Fans of whiskey will probably like DJ more.

Casa Noble on the other hand I cannot get enough of. I haven't noticed any slip in quality, the agave is allowed to come through and it warms as it goes down as opposed to burning. I find the scent (almost sweet), mouthfeel ( the word "buttery" gets used a lot) and most importantly, the taste to be superior to DJ.

As far as price goes, CN Repo can usually be had for around the $50 mark and the 2 year Anejo a buck or 2 under $60, sometimes $55 if you find the right spot (area dependent of course). So the 2 are comparable in price . If you end up enjoying the CN, save your nickels for their 5 year single barrel extra anejo, it runs around a $100 give or take $5 depending on location. CN does have sampler packs that generally go for $20 that includes 50ml each of the crystal, repo and anejo.

They are 2 entirely different animals and go for totally different flavor profiles, so I wouldn't expect any similarities.

Red face

I started drinking Don Julio anejo, before I got started collecting & Tasting tequilas. But once you get started on tasting & learning about tequilas, your preferences change real quick.
    So much that as for me I dont drink commercialed tequilas anymore! YES Casa Noble is one of those tequilas that is now in my top ten best. I made it a hobby to taste & collect tequilas. I really enjoy tasting
    and learning about tequilas. Just wait till you taste Fortaleza Anejo,blanco, Chinaco anejo, ET anejo and the fifty other tequilas in the $50 to $70 range. I never knew, so many tequilas existed.
    Go head let go of your typical tequila brands, and enjoy & taste real Artistic tequila. You will never go back to Major brand tequilas!
    Last edited by El grano de oro; November 22nd, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrm72 View Post
    Fans of whiskey will probably like DJ more.
    I'm a huge Whisk(e)y fan, I would never prefer Don Julio to Casa Noble. The 1942 maybe, to some of the Casa Nobles, depending on the weather in the clock and how stuffy my nose is, but never the plain old DJ anejo. When the 1.75L is on sale it's a good bargain, but it's got nothing on most of the anejos in it's price range otherwise. ET is ok. Definitely better than DJ. Every bottle I've had of it was less interesting than the one before, and I don't even buy it anymore, but it used to be damn good. I'd rather sip a $24 bottle of Espolon Reposado than either of them. CN on the other hand, is always a slam dunk. I'm not sure they can make a bad product.
    jasonrm72 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by El grano de oro View Post
    I started drinking Don Julio anejo, before I got started collecting & Tasting tequilas. But once you get started on tasting & learning about tequilas, your preferences change real quick.
    So much that as for me I dont drink commercialed tequilas anymore! YES Casa Noble is one of those tequilas that is now in my top ten best. I made it a hobby to taste & collect tequilas. I really enjoy tasting
    and learning about tequilas. Just wait till you taste Fortaleza Anejo,blanco, Chinaco anejo, ET anejo and the fifty other tequilas in the $50 to $70 range. I never knew, so many tequilas existed.
    Go head let go of your typical tequila brands, and enjoy & taste real Artistic tequila. You will never go back to Major brand tequilas!
    wait... new Chinaco :S

Casa Noble is unique in that they use new French oak barrels for their anejos and reposados. Most other brands age their tequila in used whiskey or bourbon barrels. The new French oak gives CN a different flavor profile.

As others here have mentioned, El Tesoro anejo might interest you as well. It has a unique combination of brine and spice and fruit that you may enjoy since you like Islay Scotch. There's no smoke taste in ET, but it is bold and flavorful.

I will also second the Fortaleza recommendation, and also suggest Siete 7 Leguas. 7L is a bit lighter in taste than the others, but still a solid consistent, classic brand. CN, ET, Fortaleza, and 7L are brands that every tequila drinker should try. Vanguero makes a good point about Chinaco. Old Chinaco is great, but you need to research to know which bottles are old versus new before buying.

I would say the same thing about ET. I've had no less than ten bottles in the last five years, never finished one before opening the next, and every single one was different from the last.

det

CN has a flavor profile that I find very different from anything else, and it's probably the only product I can consistently identify. If you like CN, you probably really like it, but if you don't you probably really dislike it. It's kind of polarizing.