Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What are you drinking? (right now, right this second)

Default What are you drinking? (right now, right this second)

I'm sure I can't be the only one who roams the web- this board in particular- with a snifter of something nice swirling next to the mouse. I'm actually a little surprised there isn't already a topic like this, if there is I didn't see it.

Anyway, right now I'm sipping my newest acquisition: El Tesoro Paradiso.

I realize it may not seem much of a score to those with access to better selections, but this is easily one of the best Tequilas I have ever seen on a shelf locally. (only others I've seen anywhere near this quality are DJ 1942 and JC Reserva de le Familia, and those two are very rare here) And I do not exaggerate when I say I have visited at last 100 liquor stores in my tiny little postage stamp state of Connecticut. This is the first time I've seen Paradiso on a shelf here. There was one bottle. The store is run by a friend of mine, who said his distributor got one case for the whole state, and pushed a bottle on him. He didn't want to take it, because he didn't think he'd sell it, but then one of his customers asked for it so he took it and put it on the shelf for $135. With tax, she'd have been out the door for about $145.
    Anyway, According to my buddy this woman is a first rate [something not very nice], and he didn't particularly want her to get it. He pulled out his invoice to see what he paid for it ($126) and gave it to me at cost. I know I've seen it for less online, but then you pay exorbitant shipping, yadda yadda yadda. And I like to support my local places, and give them a reason to agree when I encourage them to carry higher ticket things they aren't as likely to sell. So, I brought it home. I was a bit apprehensive, as some of the reviews here weren't as glowing as I'd have liked. Since the biggest gripe seemed to be from someone who took it from a shot glass, I bit the bullet and bought it anyway. El Tesoro Añejo was my favorite when I first discovered it years ago, so I was gambling on that. Granted, every bottle of it tasted different, and the last several were nowhere near as good as the first two so I eventually gave up on it. I haven't yet tried the much acclaimed 70th or 75th ETs, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, but I find this Paradiso to be outstanding. Aroma could be a bit more interesting, but the taste deliveres just fine. I wouldn't buy it again, but I certainly don't regret the purchase. I think I should see if he can get me a break on the 1942 and JC RdlF...

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    I'm sure I can't be the only one who roams the web- this board in particular- with a snifter of something nice swirling next to the mouse. I'm actually a little surprised there isn't already a topic like this, if there is I didn't see it.

Anyway, right now I'm sipping my newest acquisition: El Tesoro Paradiso.

I realize it may not seem much of a score to those with access to better selections, but this is easily one of the best Tequilas I have ever seen on a shelf locally. (only others I've seen anywhere near this quality are DJ 1942 and JC Reserva de le Familia, and those two are very rare here) And I do not exaggerate when I say I have visited at last 100 liquor stores in my tiny little postage stamp state of Connecticut. This is the first time I've seen Paradiso on a shelf here. There was one bottle. The store is run by a friend of mine, who said his distributor got one case for the whole state, and pushed a bottle on him. He didn't want to take it, because he didn't think he'd sell it, but then one of his customers asked for it so he took it and put it on the shelf for $135. With tax, she'd have been out the door for about $145.
    Anyway, According to my buddy this woman is a first rate [something not very nice], and he didn't particularly want her to get it. He pulled out his invoice to see what he paid for it ($126) and gave it to me at cost. I know I've seen it for less online, but then you pay exorbitant shipping, yadda yadda yadda. And I like to support my local places, and give them a reason to agree when I encourage them to carry higher ticket things they aren't as likely to sell. So, I brought it home. I was a bit apprehensive, as some of the reviews here weren't as glowing as I'd have liked. Since the biggest gripe seemed to be from someone who took it from a shot glass, I bit the bullet and bought it anyway. El Tesoro Añejo was my favorite when I first discovered it years ago, so I was gambling on that. Granted, every bottle of it tasted different, and the last several were nowhere near as good as the first two so I eventually gave up on it. I haven't yet tried the much acclaimed 70th or 75th ETs, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, but I find this Paradiso to be outstanding. Aroma could be a bit more interesting, but the taste deliveres just fine. I wouldn't buy it again, but I certainly don't regret the purchase. I think I should see if he can get me a break on the 1942 and JC RdlF...
    If you like the ET profile, you would love the ET 70th. It's got 7 years worth of barrel character without losing the agave essence, which is pretty hard to do. I had a few really small pours last night, but my favorite was probably Embajador Reposado. Just the right balance of vanilla sweetness and agave kick. Sadly, I have no clue where to tell anyone to buy it online.
    Tequila Tourist Blog & Reviews - http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/tequilatourist

Just finished a snifter of El Charro Anejo. Debating if I want sip on Dona Carlota Repo or give the Tequila Ocho Repo a test run.

JBear - I feel your pain since I am in Japan but I can get DJ 1942,DJ Real and RDLF with ease. It's the other stuff that is impossible to find.

Well, the internet has made most of what I'd still like to try fall within theoretical reach. That said, the "with ease" part depends on my funds, and that's a whole other ball of wax. Right now: Casa Noble Reposado, which Mrs. Bear is currently using to make Puerco Pibil for the first time in years. *fingers crossed*

There is this thread started by TT What are you drinking? - Spring/Summer 2013

It is almost time for a fall/winter thread.

No, I saw it. Not quite the same idea, that seems more like a "what's on your shelf this... semester?" sort of thing, which doesn't really hit me the same at all. But while it's a matter of perspective, I suppose I can see how this could still come off as redundant. Right now I'm drinking Riazul Añejo, the second of what will turn out to be at least three glasses all of which I thought would be the last before pouring. It's like the bottle that keeps on giving. I love it when that happens.

some Jalapeno & mango infused Casa Noble blanco that I have had going for 2 months... wow great sipper and for mixing esp. Palomas
    Tequila Tourist likes this.

No, I saw it. Not quite the same idea, that seems more like a "what's on your shelf this... semester?" sort of thing, which doesn't really hit me the same at all. But while it's a matter of perspective, I suppose I can see how this could still come off as redundant. Right now I'm drinking Riazul Añejo, the second of what will turn out to be at least three glasses all of which I thought would be the last before pouring. It's like the bottle that keeps on giving. I love it when that happens.
    It was more just supposed to be an ongoing thread that would last for 6 months at a time and can be restarted so people don't have to dig through 10+ pages. It really doesn't matter though.

Quote Originally Posted by vanguero View Post
    some Jalapeno & mango infused Casa Noble blanco that I have had going for 2 months... wow great sipper and for mixing esp. Palomas
    That sounds tasty. I may have to give that a shot. How many jalapeños do you put in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Tourist View Post
    It was more just supposed to be an ongoing thread that would last for 6 months at a time and can be restarted so people don't have to dig through 10+ pages. It really doesn't matter though.
    Hm, I suppose I get that. There are similar topics on two other (non drink related) forums that I'm on, and both are long. Very long. One is over 60 pages, the other is 39, and I have my forums settings to maximum posts per page. That said, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who goes digging back through them for anything. Might be different here, where it's sort of the theme of the board. Incidentally, I'm not drinking anything right now. About to call it a night. Well, it's been fun. I'm glad I discovered you folks in here!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast