Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Really, how good can $10 Tequila be?

Default Really, how good can $10 Tequila be?

Anyone ponied up the $9.95 I saw this 'BooYa' Tequila going for at my local liquor mart?

I mean it's one of those things, it could be okay, it could be paint thinner. It's odd, I don't mind dropping the $25-$35 on an unknown brand with the same chance of being really great or really great swill but the thought of shelling out ten whole dollars for this stuff is off putting.

Such a freak, I know, but have any of you all given it a shot?

History is'a made at night! Character is what you are in the dark!
    John Wharfin

I haven't see it yet but for $10 I would definitely take a chance - more for a conversation piece than for any expectation of a decent sipper.

Robert

Our t.net editor rates the BooYa blanco and repo at 91 and 90, respectively, so can't be all bad. I picked up a bottle of Exotico for $9.99 last weekend, and it ain't bad either.

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Any 100% agave you can find for $10 is a steal. If you don't like to sip it, use if for puro margaritas. Win win.
    SeattleJuan and IceCold like this.

Totally agree with Mr. A. In Atlanta, I also picked up a liter of La Cava de Los Morales blanco for $9.99. Did I mention this was a LITER? I plan on doing a full-fledged review for the t.net database, but suffice it to say that this is WELL worth $10/liter! For the record, I don't think Mike Morales has a vested interest in the brand.
    SeattleJuan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAgave View Post
    Any 100% agave you can find for $10 is a steal. If you don't like to sip it, use if for puro margaritas. Win win.
    Pretty much this. I've had quite a few $10-13 bottles that have ended up being really good.
    Tequila Tourist Blog & Reviews - http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/tequilatourist

Quote Originally Posted by jdjohn84 View Post
    Totally agree with Mr. A. In Atlanta, I also picked up a liter of La Cava de Los Morales blanco for $9.99. Did I mention this was a LITER? I plan on doing a full-fledged review for the t.net database, but suffice it to say that this is WELL worth $10/liter! For the record, I don't think Mike Morales has a vested interest in the brand.
    If he did, he would be tweeting about it more often. And that brand is a very solid one. I wish that I had bought more when I knew where to get it for $7.99.

Default Not sure about $10 tequila

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Tourist View Post
    Pretty much this. I've had quite a few $10-13 bottles that have ended up being really good.
    I was just wondering about this. Have I become a tequila snob? I went to one of our favorite local Mexican Restaurants this weekend. With another location in Sacramento, they are one of the better Mex Restaurants in our metropolitan area. I have no doubt they aspire to be one of the best thought of restaurants around here. However, I was shocked to notice that right there on their menu, they describe their house margarita, sold for $8.50, being made with Zapopan Blanco Tequila. Trader Joe's sells this for $9.99 a liter. It say it's 100% agave, but I understand it was once a mixto. This is one of the cheapest tequilas I can find in this area. So why does an otherwise good restaurant want to serve the absolute cheapest tequila around? If this isn't bad enough, their Top Shelf margarita uses Dos Manos Reposado. It's a $12.99 bottle at Total Wine and More. This is Top Shelf? And they put this right there on the menu like they are proud of it. Funny thing is they also have good tequila like Don Julio, Herradura, Siete Leguas, Clase Azul, and several more but you have to specifically request it and of course, it costs more. I don't get it--why the lowest end tequila in an otherwise good restaurant? When I tactfully mentioned to the bartender she should tell the manager to serve better tequila for the house margarita she acted like she had no idea what a decent tequila is. I guess it's just gone down the toilet. I drink cheap everyday tequila at home, but I don't expect to go to a decent restaurant, and pay $8 to $10 for the cheapest **** on the market. Think about it. There are approximately 16 2-oz drinks in a liter, if they pour at 2 ounces! So they take in at least $128 in revenue from a $9.99 (retail) bottle of tequila. Isn't that criminal? I know some of you will say, take your business elsewhere and I think that's exactly what I will do.
    Last edited by mjfuller53; September 14th, 2013 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjfuller53 View Post
    I was just wondering about this. Have I become a tequila snob? I went to one of our favorite local Mexican Restaurants this weekend. With another location in Sacramento, they are one of the better Mex Restaurants in our metropolitan area. I have no doubt they aspire to be one of the best thought of restaurants around here. However, I was shocked to notice that right there on their menu, they describe their house margarita, sold for $8.50, being made with Zapopan Blanco Tequila. Trader Joe's sells this for $9.99 a liter. It say it's 100% agave, but I understand it was once a mixto. This is one of the cheapest tequilas I can find in this area. So why does an otherwise good restaurant want to serve the absolute cheapest tequila around? If this isn't bad enough, their Top Shelf margarita uses Dos Manos Reposado. It's a $12.99 bottle at Total Wine and More. This is Top Shelf And they put this right there on the menu like they are proud of it. Funny thing is they also have good tequila like Don Julio, Herradura, Siete Leguas, Clase Azul, and several more but you have to specifically request it and of course, it costs more. I don't get it--why the lowest end tequila in an otherwise good restaurant? When I tactfully mentioned to the bartender she should tell the manager to serve better tequila for the house margarita she acted like she had no idea what a decent tequila is. I guess it's just gone down the toilet. I drink cheap everyday tequila at home, but I don't expect to go to a decent restaurant, and pay $8 to $10 for the cheapest **** on the market. Think about it. There are approximately 16 2-oz drinks in a liter, if they pour at 2 ounces! So they take in at least $128 in revenue from a $9.99 (retail) bottle of tequila. Isn't that criminal? I know some of you will say, take your business elsewhere and I think that's exactly what I will do.
    If you knew the margin that a bar makes on a keg, you wouldn't be nearly as upset. The lime juice in the marg costs as much or more than the tequila (provided they use juice). There's also labor involved to mix it. I've heard good things about Zapopan. I have not yet tasted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Tourist View Post
    If you knew the margin that a bar makes on a keg, you wouldn't be nearly as upset. The lime juice in the marg costs as much or more than the tequila (provided they use juice). There's also labor involved to mix it. I've heard good things about Zapopan. I have not yet tasted it.
    Ok, maybe I'm being too judgmental. I have to confess I haven't tried it yet either. Maybe that's unfair. I just feel a restaurant that wants to think they are good won't sell the cheapest liquor on the market. Maybe that's a higher expectation but going out to eat and drink and paying their ridiculous margins entitles one to higher expectations I think. However, I will try Zapopan and post a review. Maybe I'll take back what I said-- and maybe not. Stay tuned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast