Thread: Tequila Aroma / Flavor Wheel

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Exclamation Tequila Aroma / Flavor Wheel

Tequila.net Aroma / Flavor Tequila Wheel with expanded distillation and aging-barrel areas.

http://www.tequila.net/images/storie...ors-aromas.pdf

Good to use when you can't quite put your finger on a certain characteristic when tasting Tequila.

Great resource, Mr. A! Amazing how much the distillation affects flavor, making up at least 33% of the wheel's hub. I wonder if it would be possible to break those distillation flavors up based on the heads-and-tails cutoffs. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Regarding the 'cooking' portion, would 'steel oven' make more sense than 'steam oven' since both types of ovens use steam?

Either way, a great reference that should be printed and used. Thanks for putting this together!

Quote Originally Posted by jdjohn84 View Post
    Great resource, Mr. A! Amazing how much the distillation affects flavor, making up at least 33% of the wheel's hub. I wonder if it would be possible to break those distillation flavors up based on the heads-and-tails cutoffs. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Regarding the 'cooking' portion, would 'steel oven' make more sense than 'steam oven' since both types of ovens use steam?

Either way, a great reference that should be printed and used. Thanks for putting this together!
    Yes, good catch on the oven, I will get that changed. As far as further breakdown on distillation, I'll add that to my to-do list.

Mr. Agave,
    Could you explain why the wheel is layed out like it is?

It's just an aroma / flavor wheel showing some of the typical characteristics. Categories were moved or laid out just to make everything fit on the sheet, so I wouldn't say that anything is in any specific order or layout.

I've had a couple of aroma / flavor wheels over the years that I had folded in my tasting companion for reference, and after adding to them and wanting more barrel-aging characteristics, this is what I came up with.

Mr. Agave,
    Thank you for the response. I thought that maybe there was some significance to the lay-out of the wheel. Thank you for posting it it's very helpful.

Wow Mr Agave Thanks! One of the most enlightening posts I've read here. For me the attributes of different barrel types very helpful. Maybe add "pine" as a flavor on the distillation side unless I missed it somewhere? Also "cheese" to fermentation? Would tahona vs other methods of crushing be part of harvest?

Great work!

Default Flavor/aroma wheel

This is an interesting resource, but I'm not sure if I would know what to do with it. Does it come with a manual in several languages (just kidding)? I'm assuming I might use it to stimulate my brain and try to identify an aroma or taste and it's cause or source. Is that it? I hope I never have to identify why the juice smells or tastes like vomit (dilution section of wheel). However, I came close once when I encountered a corked bottle. Would you say a corked bottle is attributable to a production process, the bottling process, or a post-bottling process? Or is bottling not considered in the wheel at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mjfuller53 View Post
    This is an interesting resource, but I'm not sure if I would know what to do with it. Does it come with a manual in several languages (just kidding)? I'm assuming I might use it to stimulate my brain and try to identify an aroma or taste and it's cause or source. Is that it? I hope I never have to identify why the juice smells or tastes like vomit (dilution section of wheel). However, I came close once when I encountered a corked bottle. Would you say a corked bottle is attributable to a production process, the bottling process, or a post-bottling process? Or is bottling not considered in the wheel at all?
    Just a resource, and no, bad corks, oxidation, or any post-bottling issues are not considered in the wheel.

naranja, pine and cheese are good ones, will add on next update.