Thread: Variation of Tequila from bottle to bottle

Question Variation of Tequila from bottle to bottle

In Manitoba the government controls the sale of liquor so my choice of tequila is limited and price is at the mercy of the government. I pretty much stick to reposados as they are in my price range. I thought at one time that Tequila Reposado 30-30 was my favorite, however the next bottle I purchased the smoothness was quite harsh to what I remembered so I changed brands. Tried 1800 Reposado, Origen Antigua Reposado and Cazadores Reposado and came to the belief the smoothness varies alot in different bottles from the same brand.

This spring I bought a bottle of Patron Anejo in North Dakota for $38 and gave it to a friend, we opened it up and it was magnificient. I brought another bottle back in July and thought it was quite different from the bottle I gave away. I called my friend and we did a direct comparison of the two bottles of Patron Anejo. The tequila was so different you would think they were different brands. One was incredibly smooth and fruity the other was harsh in comparison with less developed fruit notes.

Note:Patron Anejo sells for $125 in Manitoba I would never buy it here.

I too have found differences, but this applies to products destined to be consumed in different parts of the world. Many familiar brands produced for the Mexican market have lower alcohol, as low as 35%. The same brand is produced for Canada and the US at 40%.

Some distillers apply special processes, depending on conditions where the tequila will be sold. For example, one distiller who exports to Scandinavia showed me how he removes a natural wax from the tequila. In cold climates the wax precipitates in bottle, making the tequila turbid and unappealing. Here is another regional variation which will certainly change the flavors.

Living in BC, I can sympathize with your problem. If you have any friends living in North Dakota you might be able to have some of the on-line sellers deliver to your friends and you can pick it up when you visit.... works for me.
    And I allways found Patron to be a very consistent product. Every bottle was insipid and totally lifeless.
    "Para que vino sepa a vino, hay que tomarlo con un amigo."

Quote Originally Posted by deedub View Post
    And I allways found Patron to be a very consistent product. Every bottle was insipid and totally lifeless.
    Good one!!

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

are the noms the same on the two bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by wichie13 View Post
    are the noms the same on the two bottles?
    sorry for getting back for you so late. I enjoy drinking tequila way too much. yes the noms are the same.

Cheers

Default late reply but...

I would imagine that tequila will vary, not necesarily bottle to bottle but at least batch to batch; heres my argument:
    Agave is a plant that takes 8-12+ years to reach maturity, for those 8-12 years it is a product of its environment and all items of its micro climate i.e. soil consistancy and nutrient level, water level, etc. play a role in its development.
    I know large manufacturers aim for a consistant product over and over again, but with all of the naturally occuring factors, and not to mention the processing factors, one should expect at least a slightly different product from batch to batch, also depending on what the particular bottle was exposed to post-packing will have an effect.

I drink single barrel bourbon, and half the fun of it is that no two bottles I've purchased have been exactly the same, although in this case, I'm trying to get a different bourbon each time, the only way to get the same bourbon is to get it from the same barrel.

I know wine is a different beast, but, I purchased a bottle of a 2004 Cabernet on a whim (I do this quite often), and I loved it, so I went back to the same store, and bought more of the same exact manufacturer, same year, same stack of bottles etc.; however the second bottle just didnt taste as good, which bothered me, because now I have a case of it sitting there saying "hey, why don't you drink us?" wine is supposed to vary year to year, but this wine appeared to vary bottle to bottle, much the same as you are experiencing with your tequila.

I could bring up an example of home brewing beer, but of course, all of the "precise" equipment I use making beer at home leads to a slightly different batch each time, I'm not budweiser, nor do I want to be!

Anyways, what I'm getting at is, with all of the steps involved in tequila making - growing, harvesting, roasting & juicing, fermenting, distilling, aging, blending, packaging, shipping... I can't believe that two batches will taste exactly the same, similar, but not the same. What if the catador had the sniffles one day? or ate something spicy for breakfast? what if Patron over-stretched themselves that year and harvested some agave that was too young? Too many variables...

Also after you down 1/3rd the bottle in one sitting, the rest should taste just fine