Thread: Don Sergio

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Default Don Sergio

I just got a flyer for Total Wine amd saw a right up on Don Sergio tequila. Has anybody had the chance to try it yet, they have all 3 offerings and at $18, 20, and 25, the price is very tempting.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

I havnt heard about that brand bu damn, that's one sweet deal, as long as it's 100% agave I'd say go for it, take a walk on the wild side!

Quote Originally Posted by gsars1 View Post
    I just got a flyer for Total Wine amd saw a right up on Don Sergio tequila. Has anybody had the chance to try it yet, they have all 3 offerings and at $18, 20, and 25, the price is very tempting.
    I happen to have all three flavors at my bar. Total Wines is the place I purchased them. IMHO, for the price all three are "serviceable" but nothing that really knocked my socks off. The blanco is a bit weak on the agave. The repo is a little on the spicy side and it appears that it's time in the wood did little to soften it's bite. The anejo has an even harsher finish.
    With new label Espo blanco & repo on the shelves retailing for anywhere between $16.99 & $19.99, Don Sergio doesn't stand a chance!
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

One side note on the Don Sergio Blanco. The first bottle I sampled about a year ago was surprisingly flavorful for the price....the second time around not so lucky . It was almost a year in between purchases so it is quite possible that the second bottle may have been from an entirely different batch? There just wasn't as much agave on the second go round. Also, the synthetic cork stopper wasn't sealing the bottle as well as the first.
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

gsars1 is offline Agave Aficionados

Thanks Jim, that's what I was wondering, I'm in love with the Espolon Repo and was wondering if it was any better. I think I'll stay with the Espolon, I can't get enough of that juice, especially for that price . I was saying to my wife the other day, they need a better salesman around here, it's available almost everywhere but not at any bar. If I was their rep., I would make sure any bar with 1800 repo, would put the Espolon right next to it and watch it outsell that nasty 1800.
    Life is too short to drink bad tequila!!!

I am primarily a Scotch drinker but havde recently branched into aged rum and have tried a couple anejo tequilas.

When I was in Florida the guy at Total wine recommended Don Sergio, said it was a decent sipping tequlia and at $25 roughly half the price of the Don Julia and Herradurra.

Prior to this the only one I have had was a mini bottle of patron anejo, which was very smooth but it seems to have been aged to the point that almost no tequila flavor remained. The Don Sergio seems to have a better balance between the earthy agave taste and the oaky vanilla aged flavor, as well as some nice spice and a little cinnamon. Though the finish is a tiny bit more harsh than the patron (though not unpleasantly so), I would say I prefer this one by a long shot.

I haven't been able to find many references to this Tequlia anywhere, and I was curious to see how it stacks up to others.

Espo is not available in NC as of yet (neither is Don Sergio), NC is kind of a wasteland when it comes to rum and tequila.

I checked the NOM and it is the same as the following brand, not to mention the bottle looks exactly the same (except for the cork), making me think it is a rebrand / relabel:

El Rey y Yo Tequila Anejo | Anejos | Tequila Reviews at Tequila.net

Quote Originally Posted by gsars1 View Post
    I would have to agree with Totallytequila that the Espolan Rep is a much better buy and better tasting tequila