Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tequila Concerns - Freezing

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Thumbs down Tequila Concerns - Freezing

I've had several emails from consumers in the past couple of weeks asking me why their tequila is freezing. Both brands are labeled as 100% Agave / 80 proof and shouldn't freeze in a home freezer, but they did...

Corzo and JC Tradicional are the 2 brands in question. Both consumers have kept these brands in their freezer in the past without issue, so this raises new concerns as to what is really in the bottle.

80 Proof spirits are said to freeze at about -34.44C (-30F), and most residential freezers don't allow a setting cooler than -10F.

For them to freeze in a standard freezer (0F), the proof would have to be around 56, or 28% alcohol. Sounds like some heavy diluting...

Anyone else freeze any tequilas lately and notice anything funny going on?

wichie13 is offline Agave Aficionados

I don't freeze my tequila so I have never experienced this. Maybe I'll try one of my cheaper bottles to see what happens.

Someone at the plant is skimming the bottles before they are being shipped?

I know if my parents threw some of their booze in the liquor cabinet when I was a kid it would have freezed no problem....

MrAgave is offline Administrator

I never really store any liquor in the freezer either, but I do have one bottle of HDC Sotol in there that has been sitting for over a year. I always forget about it. It is a little thicker than normal, but definitely not frozen...

Quote Originally Posted by MrAgave View Post
    I never really store any liquor in the freezer either, but I do have one bottle of HDC Sotol in there that has been sitting for over a year. I always forget about it. It is a little thicker than normal, but definitely not frozen...
    That's really interesting Mr. A. Sounds like something fishy going on if you ask me! I never freeze any tequila here in my house however, over this past Labor Day weekend while vacationing in Key West, a friend of mine put a bottle of El Jimador metal label anejo in the freezer. He just happens to like all of his tequila chilled. I try to tell him how chilling it compromises the nose, various flavor profiles, characteristics, etc. but it's like preaching to the choir......to each his own I guess? I do remember the EJA getting slightly syrupy but not frozen.
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

If they are blancos in question and they have kids, teenagers, or for that matter anyone else who lives with them that likes tequila to consider the possibility that someone is drinking it and then replacing it with water. I had this happen with some teens my son invited over when we were out of town. I didn't freeze it but I'm sure it would have as he confessed that they had cut it about half. Since then I have used locks on my cabinets. BTW, I had set the bottles up in ways to be able to tell if they had been moved. Gotta be smarter than them teens!!

(hopefully im not struck down by the tequila gods for this one)
    I keep a bottle of DJ silver in the fridge to take the edge off a long day at work. Never had any issues with freezing, but id like to think they have a level of quality control that would never put whether they were 100% agave or not into question.

There are a couple bottles i have that i wouldnt mind trying this with though...

Anything 80 proof shouldn't freeze. I keep all my vodka in the freezer. It gets syrupy, but it doesn't freeze, even the 70 proof flavored stuff.

If I recall, both these bottles have a shrink wrap covering over the caps with corks.

Were they both purchased at the same store?

Maybe the shadyness was a bit more local.

I had a half full pint bottle of Hornitos in my freezer for at least a year (fell behind a bag of brocolli) and it was thick but never froze.
    History is'a made at night! Character is what you are in the dark!
    John Wharfin

I almost always keep a bottle in my freezer. I have probably had close to a dozen different brands in my freezer, and never an issue.

Close to a dozen bottles wow!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)