De Los Altos Tequila Silver

P October 08, 2008

85 (3)
24638 0 1 0 1
De Los Altos Tequila Silver

Tequila De Los Altos Silver

De Los Altos Tequila is grown in Jalisco's Highlands, Los Altos, famous for their rich red clay soils, and is produced in the original ways of our ancestors, allowing us to get "The Spirit of the Agave". This silver Tequila is 100% Blue Agave.

User reviews

3 reviews
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

86(3)
Initial Taste

85(3)
Body

84(3)
Finish

84(3)
Enjoyability

83(3)
Price

89(3)
Presentation

87(3)
Good Value
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

D Los Altos is a brand that has been around for a while and has been often mentioned in the better tequilas on a budget category. My first experience was with the añejo a couple of years ago and I had to agree with that assessment. The bottle is striking and the distillery (NOM 1529) makes some quality brands. While I'm shocked it's taken me this long to try the base tequila from this line, I'm glad that it's in front of me.

Price: $20-30/bottle

Aroma: A nice fresh agave aroma with hint of citrus and light pepper. Very crisp.

Initial Taste: A crisp agave flavor with hints of mint and pine. Nice balance of sweet and vegetal.

Body: The body is a bit thin, but the crisp agave flavors remain. The peppery notes come forward a bit more as well. Agave forward, but balanced.

Finish: The finish is relatively short, but it's nice and light. Very refreshing with just enough agave punch to make it worthwhile.

Is this a great tequila...probably not. Is it worth buying in the price range...yes. A nice, clean agave flavor all around and that hint of vegetal notes and pepper to round it all out. I like it. I'll happily drink it. And I'll recommend it to those who can find it.
TT
#1 Reviewer 414 reviews
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Tequila De Los Altos Silver-NOM 1499 Casa Tequilera De Arandas SA DA CV. Imported by MEGAWINE,INC. I purchased this bottle from Ramirez Liquor for $20.00/750ML. Blind tasted in Riedels against El Capo Silver on 10/7/09. Clear in the glass with quick legs and leaving lots of pearls. The smell is youthful with moderate agave and slight earth. Mildly sweet and a light note of creamy citrus. I was surprised by a first taste that was on the hot and bitter side. Green, raw and harsh toward the front of the mouth and lips, leaving behind a bitter sharpness on the back of the tongue. There was an alcohol attack throughout the tasting most noticeable and unpleasant in the finish. Overall my impression of this blanco is one of "hurried" and rather boring and unbalanced. I tried to find interesting or satisfying elements in this tequila but there just weren't that many. The nose was the most pleasing part, I just wish it had followed through with more character. While worth the price paid this blanco would make a reasonable mixer, but has no alure as a sipper for me. Bottle and label are impressive on a bar and it included a stark wooden box.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Tasted on 10/09/08 out of a snifter. I purchased a bottle for $20 bux at Top Line Wine & Spirit in Glendale. Not a bad blanco at all for the price. Definitely something I'd buy again. it has a nice citrus sweetness to it-the signature of most tequilas from Los Altos. A solid 'B' grade tequila. Not too complex, but definitely memorable.

Aroma: A light nose of agave and floral.
Initial Taste: A thin mouth feel, upon entry it was sweet with no bitterness. First flavor was citrus.
Body: A light (but not too light) agave body complimented softly by citrus.
Finish: A short semi heated finish with a lingering citrus aftertaste.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 5 1