Thread: Any info regarding El Senorio anejo Mezcal

Default Any info regarding El Senorio anejo Mezcal

Hi,

I purchased a bottle (still unopened) of El Senorio Anjejo Mezcal while in the city of Oaxaca, Oaxaca in 2004. The bottle also reads San Jacinto Amilpas, oaxaca, Mexico Lote Bug 2003/01 (El Seņorio Mezcal)
    I enjoyed it when I had tasted it, but I'm looking for the opinions from some of the more knowledgeable & experienced Mezcal drinkers. How does this bottle rate?

Also, any opinions/info on the following Mezcals:

ORO de OAXACA Mezcal con Gusano Cuitahuac No. 8 Santiago Matatlan, Tlacolula Oaxaca Envasado Por: Licorera Oaxquena - purchased in Oaxaca

Jeronimo Mezcalero con Gusano Reposado Mezcal(Nom-078x) Lot No: C02-050904 - Purchased in Saltillo, Mexico (have not tasted)

Gusano Rojo - I realize that this is a very common Mezcal (almost like the Budwieser of Mezcal).

Thanks

The number of people here that regularly post about mezcal can probably be counted on one hand. A lot of brands and bottles that are brought back from Mexico are only available in Mexico

The El Senorio, although listed here, doesn't look like it has any availability in the US at this time and may not have for a few years. I can't find any retailer that currently carries this product except for one in the UK. I personally have never tried it.

Jeronimo Mezcalero must be a Mexico only brand. Never heard of it before.

The Oro de Oaxaca and the Gusano Rojo, while 100% Espadin are not aged. The color comes from caramel so they are known as Abocado mezcal.

Neither of these is particularly palatable and are the lowest of the low as far as imported mezcal. Everyone has a different taste and palate but I would drink pretty much anything other than these 2 mezcals. Harsh and with overtones of acetone are what I remember from a recent tasting of almost 30 mezcals. The only 2 mezcals that were sipped and poured out. Should I go on?

I have about 60 different mezcals at home including all the Del Maguey expressions except the Pechuga,some Fidencio, Pierde Almas, Joya, Herencia Mezcalero, Illegal, Beneva and more. Some aged product and some not. Some smoky and some "sin humo" or without smoke. I enjoy mezcal, just not those 2.

Hello

As a general rule I tend not to purchase anything with "con gusano" on the bottle. From experience I have not enjoyed anything which has the larva in it so now I stay away from it, others may disagree though.

I totally 2nd the opinion on Oro de Oaxaca and Gusano Rojo, they are often in bars for tourists and for those who don't know anything about Mezcal.

While I am just learrning myself about Mezcal, I find it can be very complex and enjoyable. It should not be judged by some of the cheap exports, sort of like judging tequila by Cuervo Gold.

I'm not sure about El Senorio. The whole line is on sale right now at my local store, but 3 out of the 4 are "con gusano" so I haven't taken the plunge. I might try the anejo next time I go by there now it's been brought up on here.

I hope you enjoy your Mezcal adventures, as I said before it can be rewarding when you find one you like.

Default Any info regarding El Senorio anejo Mezcal

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I agree that Gusano Rojo & Oro de Oaxaca are probably not the finest of Mezcals. My experience w/ those two had lead to a night of howling @ the moon followed be a couple of days of pain.

If you have not tried the El Senorio Anjejo (& the opportunity arises), then you should do so. What I had sampled was a juice that should be sipped & enjoyed.

Then again, I was using Gusano Rojo & Oro de Oaxaca as point of reference (for Mezcals).