Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Chichicapa!

Default Chichicapa!

Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered a bottle of Chichicapa from Del Maguey. It arrived today, well packed, and with lovely packaging. It was so nice I almost didn't want to open it. The woven basket over the bottle and the clay cups are a nice touch.
    The tasting:
    Wow! This stuff really took me off guard. It wasn't what I imagined at all, but it's very, very good. Smokey, complex, unbelievably smooth. Did I mention that it's really good?
    I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the line.
    Last edited by MilesDavis; March 13th, 2010 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks for writing about this! I have been on the fence for a few months about trying this line. Your review encourages me to just go for it!

Gracias,
    Garret

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Thanks for writing about this! I have been on the fence for a few months about trying this line. Your review encourages me to just go for it!

Gracias,
    Garret
    By all means give it a try Garrett. You will not be disappointed! Chichicapa has always been my one of my favorite mezcal's....hands down! MilesDavis has given it a very proper review....smokey, complex, smooth...all great choices of words! IMHO, this is exactly what quality mezcal should taste like...intense, smokey goodness! If you do pull the trigger on a bottle let us know what your thoughts are on this fine agave spirit.
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

I'm lucky to be in the vicinity of a great Mezcal Bar in LA, Las Perlas. Chichicapa is also one of my favorites from Del Maguey. The dry smokiness can knock you on your ass if you aren't expecting it. It's so flavorful that it's almost overwhelming on entry, but the finish is so nice. Definitely worth a try.

I just picked up a bottle of Chichicapa today and can't wait to to try it. Hope I like it since it's pretty expensive (78 bucks in WA state)

I've ordered directly from Del Maguey a couple of times with no issues. I can order it and get it sooner and cheaper than I can buy it here in WA, too.

It was kind of an impulse buy. I was going to get a bottle of El Tesoro Anejo for this weekend but there was something about the Chichicapa I couldn't resist.

This is my second time trying Chichicapa. Tonight I poured a big glass and I'm slowly sipping my way through this Mezcal. I'm just finding a level of indefinable smokiness that's hard for me to appreciate. It's like a smoldering damp ashes, exotic wood, in the ground pit fire... sort of... full on smell and flavor. The taste definately matches the nose. I'm trying not to focus on the smoke and find other elements of this unique spirit to enjoy, and I am finding them. It's got so much going on it's hard for me to figure out exactly what I'm liking and not liking about it. Everything else seems kinda mild next to it. Maybe with time it will grow on me somewhat. This spirit is difficult for me to pin down. It's not much like tequila, and I guess that's the point.
    "There are two ways to sleep well at night... be ignorant or be prepared." - Simon Black, Editor of the Sovereign Man blog. and I believe the best way to do that might be to have plenty of good tequila around.

It does take a little getting used to. Whenever I come back to any of the Del Maguey products after I've been on tequila, it takes a little glass or two for it to grow on me again. There's just nothing else like it!

Quote Originally Posted by 1tequila2 View Post
    This is my second time trying Chichicapa. Tonight I poured a big glass and I'm slowly sipping my way through this Mezcal. I'm just finding a level of indefinable smokiness that's hard for me to appreciate. It's like a smoldering damp ashes, exotic wood, in the ground pit fire... sort of... full on smell and flavor. The taste definately matches the nose. I'm trying not to focus on the smoke and find other elements of this unique spirit to enjoy, and I am finding them. It's got so much going on it's hard for me to figure out exactly what I'm liking and not liking about it. Everything else seems kinda mild next to it. Maybe with time it will grow on me somewhat. This spirit is difficult for me to pin down. It's not much like tequila, and I guess that's the point.
    It is definitely an aquired taste, especially if you are used to the more "softer tasting" tequilas. Mezcal certainly has it's own unique flavor profile. You may find the flavor of lighter, less intense Mezcal's such as Scorpion Blanco or even Mezcal Felino to your liking. There may even be other labels that are out there that I have yet to try. Maybe someone else has some suggestions?
    Personally I really have to be in the mood to drink Mezcal but when I am I prefer Chichicapa to them all. Sometimes I even sip on some while enjoying a nice cigar....talk about a "smokefest"!
    Sip & Savor... please don't shoot!

Salud, Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast