Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try Bacanora?

MrAgave is offline Administrator

Default Anyone try Bacanora?

I have yet to try Bacanora, an agave spirit from Sonora. From the information on the web, the production process sounds similar to mezcal, where the agave is cooked and smoked in a pit. Here are a couple of Bacanora brand web sites:

http://www.tequila.net/links/bacanor...ive_web_sites/

Default Re: Anyone try Bacanora?

no. no i havent tried it.
    100% Cacti

http://bacanora.com.mx/english/forma.html

Can someone explain to me if these are actual prices per bottle of this stuff? I was curious why they cost so much. Unless there just isnt much of a market and they are just setting there own price....

Nothing I read seemed to catch my attention to make this brand so special...
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

More than likely the prices are in Mexican pesos. Which would make the 50ml bottle about $2.80.
    Otro tequila, por favor.

Definitely not pesos. I bought both Bacanora de Sonora (wood box) and 300 Años on my last trip to Rocky Point. Both were right around $50 each. I haven't tried the Bacanora de Sonora, but the 300 Años was decent, but not worthy of a 50 dollar price tag.

Those 2 are the only bacanora brands I know of currently:
    http://www.tequila.net/links/bacanor...ive_web_sites/

On the bacanora website, their order form has the Bacanora de Sonora (wood box) listed for 490.00 per bottle, I can assume they are not asking for dollars, in pesos that would be about the $50 Mr. A paid for his bottle.
    Otro tequila, por favor.

That makes a lot more sense now. I would have thought they would have made the presentation a bit better for 490.00 but 50.00 does sound more reasonable. Does anyone remember it tasting similar to mezcal or have any tasting notes? Im just curious.
    Tequila Don Valente....ask for it.

Yeah, I obviously wasn't looking at their web site, I must've saw it on another site listed in US dollars. The wood box isn't that glamorous.

The 300 Años tasted like a product that is between tequila and mezcal, smoky yet doesn't have the flavor punch like Mezcal.

I actually purchased a small bottle from a street vendor. I really enjoyed the drink and wanted to see if anyone knows of a good local distributor in the US. Also, how does it compare to Sotol? I apologize if these seem like very uninformed questions but I'm somewhat of a new agave fan. It's one of the few drinks my wife and I can both drink with her allergy to wheat.

Some of the large liquor stores in CA might carry some. Check the liquor store area on the home page.

Sotol tastes quite different from Bacanora, it is produced with similar aspects to Tequila, but using the Sotol plant (desert spoon) which grows wild throughout Chihuahua.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 4th, 2009, 05:45 AM