Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

I procured a bottle of this for a special price of $80 at a local store. The store's price tag indicated an MSRP of $250, and I have heard other folks mention prices of close to $200, so apparently I got a good deal. The bottle, of course, is undeniable, and this tequila has a very dark color - probably darker than anything I have experienced thus far.

The nose on this XA was mostly caramel, but with strong oak and subtle charcoal notes as well.

The body was rather light for an XA, with only a slight oiliness - very balanced. The taste reflected the nose, with (burnt) caramel plus a little spice.

The finish was smooth with minimal burn - mostly pepper as opposed to alcohol burn - and again more charcoal. The nose filled-up again after the finish, with lingering caramel, wood, and charcoal notes.

This is a very complex tequila with a lot going on. I wouldn't spend the $200 MSRP for it, but at a special sub-$100 price it is worth the money for special tastings, and should be savored by those who can appreciate it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments